Need advice on cover for earlier Performers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod Duley

TVWBB Member
I just picked up on a 2000 stainless model Performer. I plan on refurbishing it. It did come with a old original cover with some type of "mesh" material in a section on the top (I'm not sure how this helps protect it). It is also cracked and it needs to be replaced. I have seen old style covers for around $50.00 out there but they are becomming rarer and rarer. I also seem to remember reading about one person who cut off the handels and used the current model cover (not sure I would prefer this). Does anybody have any recommendations for a good cover for these ealier model Performers or should I just bite the bullet and try to find the original syle.

Thanks
Rod

Instead of cutting the grill rails I cut slits in the cover itself letting the rails slide through on the older cover that tightened up over time. This allowed the mesh section to fit "correctly" over the left side of the kettle instead of over the handle.

John, thanks for the reply but I was kinda looking to see if any TVWB members had some great alternatives/resources for the original cover or convince me to shell out the $50.00 and get one from Weber.

Tim, Im not quite following you. Are you indicating you did a double layer cover. I still don't get how the open mesh area can protect the grill from the elemets.

No I only have the one cover. It's the older one made for the stainless models. It was really tight getting on without pulling on the end and when it was finally on it left the mesh directly over the middle of the lid so that water would pour down all sides and into the stainless section on the right side of the kettle.

I cut 2 slits on the top of the cover to allow the rails to slide through up to the edge of the work surface so that the whole cover can fit square to the grill. Now the mesh is on the left most side of the lid allowing the water to kind of slide down the side instead.

I don't like that mesh design either, my cover is never on long enough to develop any sort of growth that I guess the mesh is supposed to prevent through ventilation.

looks like our replies crossed, mine was an response to Rod. Slow computer ... (or computer operator I guess)

Guys, do all of the covers for the earlier Perforers incorperate the mesh? I understand the breathing capability it allows but I still wonder about the protection from rain and winter. I too don't allow the cover just to sit on the grill much due to use, but is this the only option from Weber?

Your right. I have had 3 of the old covers and they all had the mesh. Was told by the BBQ guy at the stores that it was to let them breath, Witch always seemed pretty stupid to me. Seemed like rain and snow got in. K
wsmsmile8gm.gif
ind of defeated the purpose of a cover.

My SS Performer cover from Weber does NOT have any mesh on it (my Genesis cover does). I had an unfortunate accident involving a weed burner and the end of the grill cover nearest the handles, so that end is, ahem, "ventilated" now.

I ordered a new cover off of Ebay but its still in the box since the old one still covers everything that needs covering.

I'm hoping to go to ATL to pick up a new old red performer if its still there, so I'll have another Performer to cover with the second cover. I'll let you know if it has mesh or not.

If you're looking for a frugal cover, measure out the old one the best you can, then pay a visit to the local Harbor Freight and buy a tarp in approximately the same size. It'll run you 4 or 5 bucks. Then pick up an adjustable flat nylon strap while you're there - 7 or 8 bucks maybe.

Tarp over the Performer, wrap the strap around the performer to keep the tarp from blowing off and you'll have a perfectly serviceable cover. Not as sporty looking as the Weber cover, but serves the purpose at an affordable price.

Pat

I would bite the bullet. I have a 2001 Performer and the original cover does have some cracking,its not that bad, but when it gets a little worse I`m going to replace with the premium cover. I sure as heck not going to rap a harbor freight tarp around it "No offence Pat".
FYI I spray my covers with armor-all after I hose them off. I think it helps with the UV pretection, and they look brand new.
Bite the Bullet!
http://www.grillstuff.com/webe....html?productid=1633

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not opposed to spending the $50.00 to protect my Performer and I don't think I would do the tarp thing. Do any of you that have the mesh type cover for ventilation see major water/weather issues impact on the grill? I'm getting ready to "bite".

Thanks

No offense taken! I actually have an extra cover. Waiting to be used when my old one bites the dust! Gotta protect the redhead!

Pat

I just bought one from Weber last month to fit the SS Performer, and it does not have any mesh panel in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back