Need a tiny little part.....2 of em.....Weber emblem holder on'r :)

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.....I am still restoring my old school 3000? For some reason I cant retain which model it is....I will include a pick. But I have restored the emblem and want to reinstall it. The newer Genesis Silver's are easy but this older grill uses a slimmer holder on'r .....You guys have been so good at leading me in the right direction for other parts so I just had to ask. Where can I get the old school hood emblem holder on'r? These are thin...not deep speed nuts of some kind. I had to destroy the originals to get the emblem off.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200814_193457.jpg
    20200814_193457.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200703_100755.jpg
    20200703_100755.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi Jim, I think they are called "Tinner's Nuts" you can get them a hardware store like Ace.

Same idea as the metal piece inside the Weber wheel hubcaps.

Tinner's nuts not holder on'r? Ok thank you........I will take the emblem in to my local hardware store at least I know what to ask for this time.

Or just use some Red Hight Temp RTV silicone. I use it on all my rehabs. I always thought those little nuts were called Push Nuts.

Jim,
What you are looking for is a Push Nut Bolt Retainer, the size you want are #10. They sell for about .15 cents each. The brand name is Hillman.

XA5G0ji.jpg

Jeff

Those in the picture will work, but the ones that come on a Weber will actually go on and come off with a socket wrench. I like those a lot better and think you can get them online or at a store as well. It is the same nut used for holding on the end caps.

EDIT: OK, here is the exact item at Amazon. This will set you up for a bunch of restores.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041C6LYW/?tag=tvwb-20

Jon, those self cutting nuts were only used on some emblems. I think the later 2000's and on. It seems to me that all the older lids had the little push nut and I am not sure, but the posts might be a different size.

Good observation. That is probably true and getting some of the push nuts out of the grab box at Ace would be the best fix for those.

Wow u guys always come through strong! Man I got pics....explanations......links.......I am surprised u guys didnt stop by the house!!!!!
Yes this is an old school grill and there isnt enough room for the more modern style nut on this emblem but I did buy a box of 100 of those bad boys for flippers and they work great!
The ones in Jeff's pics are the ones I need.....I remember having to go cave man on them to remove them so seeing them again made me twitch a little....but I will be ok :)
Thanks all......I really appreciate it!

Again, a tube of the red RTV is a fix for almost all the emblems. But, if you only need to do one or two grills, then it is probably not a good alternative. I even have about a dozen of those push nuts in my parts containers.

Jim,
Every Weber I restored from 1986-2003 used that style fastener for the emblem. The ones Jon are referring to are used on the mid-2000 up Weber's
You want a trick for removing them easily next time? Light tap the on the emblem stud outwards which gives you the room to push a small screwdriver under the clip to pry off.

Jeff

I do have some RTV laying around but I think I prefer a mechanical connection vs adhesive....but thats just my ocd kickin in

Thanks Jeff......ha ya I remember being all cave man....circling the thing trying to figure it out......going from screw drivers to picks.....pocket knife......The outward tap would have helped a lot......but yes I did eventually use a tiny screw driver and bent one tiny fin at a time to remove it.

There are always cold'n's awaiting my Weber friends........open invite for anyone traveling the Northern Va area.....

Back