Need a sharp knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Read about the Forschner in here..

I need a knife that can cut a london broil against the grain (semi frozen) for wide slabs of beef jerkey....

any suggestions..would like to purchase it at Amazon.com for convenience.

The Forschner sounds sharp, but I've been looking at a myriad of knives and am a complete novice so valuing your opinions more than unkown user reviews I came here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I need a knife that can cut a london broil against the grain (semi frozen) for wide slabs of beef jerkey.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a nice set of Henckles that are very sharp. I like the 10" for raw or cooked meat but, believe it or not the best knife I have to cut semi-frozen/lean beef is my el cheapo cleaver. I have a 8" cleaver I bought at a chinese market for $6.95. I keep the edge straight and sharp with a coarse rod. The height of the knife makes it easy to keep straight and the rougher cutting edge slices the semi-frozen meat nicely.

Hi Brian,
I recently bought a few Forschner knives from knifeworks.com, and I'm pretty happy with them.
I have a couple of Wusthof Trident knives that I love, but the Forschners were a fraction of the price of what it would have cost to buy the same Wusthof knives.
The main difference is that the Forschner knives are stamped as opposed to forged, and so have thinner blades, and no bolster.
I bought a 8" breaking knife (Fibrox handle, under $20) that sliced through semi-frozen meat easily, as delivered.
I also bought a 1# cleaver (rosewood handle, under$30) that will chop through about anything, and a flexible blade boning knife (Fibrox handle, under $15). The Forschners were quite sharp as delivered, hold an edge well, and sharpen easily.
The Forschner knives are excellent knives for the money, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Just my $.02

Jim

thanks for your replies...im leaning on the forschner now and am looking at knifeworks.com.

Hi, for cutting slices of london broil I'd get the slicing knife - long straight edge means you can cut evenly all along the length of the meat.

Granton Edge slicer

40645.jpg

Just a note regarding knifeworks.com.
I ordinarily order things from Amazon, through the link on this site. But for knives, I like knifeworks.com. I've placed several orders with them over the past few years, and have been very pleased. They have very good prices, excellent customer service, and I get a very prompt delivery (my order for those Forschner knives was delivered 4 days from date of order.) This was using standard shipping methods.
I'm not affiliated with this company in any way, I'm just a very satisfied customer.
Jim

Brian...

I am a HUGE Forschner fan, those are my most used knives! BUTTTTT... I would NOT buy one for slicing partially frozen meat! They are stamped which means the blades are very thin and flexible.

Look for a thicker(forged) blade. Otherwise, ask your butcher to slice it on his meat saw. Most will do that. They will NOT slice on a deli slicer, but the meat saw is still used in most places. Just tell them how thick you need it sliced.....1/4" is the minimum on a saw.

Also, unless you are getting a good deal on London Broil, go with Top or Bottom round. Many times butchers mark up a London broil just by using that name!

I never pay more than $2/lb. for bottom round and around $2.85/lb. for top round. Those are the best VALUE for jerky. Top round is the premier meat to use because of NO fat(especially the "inside" top round), but bottom round works as well, you will just need to do a little trimming.

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BUTTTTT... I would NOT buy one for slicing partially frozen meat! They are stamped which means the blades are very thin and flexible.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Excellent point, Kevin. When I mentioned slicing partially frozen meat with a Forschner, I was talking about meat that has been in the freezer for a while just to firm it up. Slightly frozen, as it were.
My bad, I should have been a little clearer about that.
When I need to cut harder objects, I definitely use my Wusthof chef's knife, or a cleaver.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back