Need a packer source in North NJ

Ted M (FatEddy)

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi, Lately I can only find over priced flats at costco or very expensive "prime" briskets at my butcher. My butcher is not interested in getting me a full packer. He keeps saying he'll see what he can get. Might be time to change butchers.

I'm located near Morristown, NJ. Does anybody have or know of a good source for packers in this area?

Thanks,
Ted

I've been getting mine at Restaurant Depot. I think it was $2.30/lb. last month. Membership is free, but you need a business EIN number, or find someone with a card. There's a Restaurant Deport right on Rt.46 in Montville.

I've been trying to find a good source of packers myself. I'm in West Caldwell and even though the R.D. in Montville is 5 minutes away, ain't no way I'm going to go through all the trouble of registering a business and have to submit usage tax filings to Trenton, etc. Did that in NY and it drove me batty.

My local butcher (Vila) charges $6.50/lb for Choice, more for CAB. Only way I can do briskies now is getting one at Western Beef in Newark and they ain't no bargain either. Select grade, too.

Its not a big deal to register a business, and it's well worth the effort. All you do (by mail) is register a business with your county. All forms are online. Once you get the signed form back from the the county, go online and register to get an EIN number. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. They may have been a small fee for the business registration, but I'm not sure.

Back