Need a new knife

Wow, a Craftsman chainsaw...that's like buying a Brinkman smoker...*gd&r* Actually, I have a Brinkman and I bought it at Sears for $20 on closeout..., using the water pan in my WSM.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
Wow, a Craftsman chainsaw...that's like buying a Brinkman smoker...*gd&r* Actually, I have a Brinkman and I bought it at Sears for $20 on closeout..., using the water pan in my WSM.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I've heard of wine snobs, tea snobs, and on this site even smoker/bbq snobs. But a chainsaw snob?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A.D.Letson:
How do you store your knives Kevin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
knife-thrower.jpg

I'm thinking of something like this

I second Kevin's suggestion of getting the Misono UX-10, if the budget allows. I have been using that particular knife extensively for about 4 years now. I also own several other Misonos. Even their cheapest line (I have owned the Santoku from the "Handmade" line for about 7 years) is better than the expensive German knives widely available in stores. The cheapest 10 incher from Misono will cost about $120. I bought most of my knives from the Korin store. Excellent service. For a "small fee" you can mail your knives back to them for maintenance if you don't like sharpening them yourself.

JP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rod culver:
Don, that video is just great!! I hope none of that is personal experience though!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just saw it right before reading the last comment about telling your wife that she can't use the knive...seemed appropriate (but not for me anymore - now happily divorced
icon_biggrin.gif
).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmfast:
Maybe this is not the right discussion group, but it is the most active.
I am looking to buy a good quality 10" or longer all around chef knife. My old 1970’s “Yorktown” handles are falling apart. I have bought a few newer knives, but I always went back to my “yorkie”. I just did not like the newer store bought knives I recently bought. Anyone have any advice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really like The R.H. Forschner by Victorinox. Here is a link to Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000638D32

Wow! I think you guys are way above my league. I FINALLY got a decent set of knives for Christmas. Well, I got what I asked for, just didn't know they were made in China crap. Those promptly went back to Cabela's and I got a nice set of Wustof knives. I love them! Cabela's has some buyer guide info that goes into the different types of steel. They have a Cabela's branded set of Wustoff knives, then another set which is twice as much for half as many knives. Two totally different products. I got the latter.

Only problem I've had is the red Wustoff logo is a sticker, and those are coming off.

Ironically I used to guage quality by "dishwasher safe". For what I paid for these, now I have no problem washing them by hand, even though they would probably be okay.

Alton Brown has done a couple of episodes on knives that is informative as well. That is where I learned to avoid plates & glass cutting boards.

Just picked up a three pc Chef's set of Forschner's for $50 bucks

Chef's Set

and a 7" Santoku for $27

7" Santoku

I've tried them all and love them. I had to replace my Henckels because the aluminum rivets in the handle corroded from the inside (you can't have dissimilar metals touch each other, especially stainless steel, without it being properly passivated to prevent corrosion) and fell apart in my hand. Good thing I didn't cut myself! I'd recommend these knives especially at that price. I'll let you know how well they wear.

John

Back