Need a new grill

m raschko

TVWBB Member
Turns out that annual maintenance in a gasser is important. After 7 years, my nice Kenmore is all rotted out on the inside. At least $620 in parts to repair it.
icon_frown.gif
Actually I'm not sure if it was the heat or the lack of interior cleaning that did it in. All the metal is flaking apart.

Anyway, expensive lesson now learned, I'm in the market for a new grill. I'm tempted to go back to charcoal and get a Weber Performer (how well does the gas ignition work?). I really dream of having a Rancher, but realistically I don't need it.

Otherwise, a Weber with a sear burner or maybe a Charbroil. Suggestions?

Thanks,
-Michael

My take, the Weber Performer is one of the best charcoal grills in the world. a masterpiece
icon_wink.gif
I love mine. the gas ignition has never failed me. that said i could never live with-out my gasser. its the best of both worlds. for something quick(burgers a staek)i need a gasser- for something slow like a nice weekend diner(ribs chicken)i use the performer.

get the performer look for a used weber gasser if you cant afford a new one. CL always has used silvers for around 100.00

best of both worlds.

We received a Kenmore for a wedding present back in 1990, and it rotted out right around 7 years also. Bought a new Weber Genesis right after that and it is still going strong today. I've only had to replace the flavorizer bars.

Two years ago I bought a stainless Performer off of Craigslist for $50, put another $40 in new parts and I now have one of the worlds greatest grills. The ignition system works like a charm. I use a chimney and Royal Oak lump, light the igniter for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes and I'm grilling or smoking in 10 to 15 minutes. Honestly the gasser hardly ever gets used anymore.

The performer is a fantastic grill! I would suggest buying a chimney starter to use with the gas ignition though. I usually let my chimney sit on top of the flame for about five minutes then shut it off and wait another 5 to 10 and my charcoal is ready to dump.

I once had a Kenmore gasser and it lasted about 4 or 5 years before it basically cracked in half. My Weber Genesis (wood slats) came with the second wife and it is still going strong. Can't say anything about the Performer. I checked them out and decided if I needed another kettle I would just buy another standard kettle.

Get a Weber. Get a Weber. Get a Weber. JMO, but I think you'll be very happy with a Weber.

While I just have a OTS,go ahead and get the Weber. You won't be sorry and will be happy for a very long time! You rarely hear of another grill brand that has this kind of loyalty OR longevity!

I'm starting to think you all think I should get a Weber.
icon_smile.gif
The Charbroil seems innovative, but I think I'll go with a Genesis (even though I want a Summit). I'd go with a Performer, but then it occured to me that lighting charcoal in the rain (it rains a LOT here in western WA) would probably be tricky even with gas ignition. Gas grills are easy to light in the rain.

My Weber Genesis was purchased 6/16/2001 and is still going stroong. No rust at all for main chassis. Igniter failed about 4 years ago and the small "deflecter" at the burner tube rusted out, and I just use a Bic lighter. Igniter on side burner stil works great. Get a Weber.

Ray

Genesis Gold C here from 2004, never did a thing to it other than scape the grates. Still works like the day we purchased it. (well maybe scraped the burner area once or twice). Have a rotis for it that works great. These things last forever. Wish I knew about CL though back then. I saw a gold c the other day for 225 that looked new.

Lucky dog!

You won't regret it.

I firmly believe that in the Gas Grill world, Weber gives you the best "bang for the buck" because:
-It's a wonderful cooking implement
(you can regulate it and cook almost anything)
-It will LAST
-The parts that eventually wear-out can be replaced at a reasonable cost and will be available for a long time to come.

Happy Grilling!

I know Weber makes awesome grills, and my WSM is the most kickbutt piece of outdoor cooking equipment I've ever bought.

But when it comes to grilling, I'm partial to having a rectangular cooking area with a flip up lid. For me, it also has to be charcoal. So given those preferences, that cheap Chargriller has worked well. The first one lasted about 7 years, which isn't bad considering the heavy use, and it only cost about $90. My second one is 3 years old, and the charcoal grate is starting to wear already. So yeah, you get what you pay for, but I like the barrel style when it comes to grilling.

Weber has much better build quality and longevity but the Chargriller has a better shape (for me), the flip up lid, huge cooking surface (I have 5 kids), and movable charcoal grates.

Wow! I love the Weber. Not only is it better built than my Kenmore, but it cooks better too. It definitely gets hotter. I like the stainless grates too. I had cast ironon the Kenmore and thought I'd miss them, but the Weber sears just as well and seems easier to keep clean - no sticking so far! Its better designed too. The grease tray removes the grease from the grill. I suspect that this will extend the life. Even the wheels are better! Much easier to move around. So much easier that it started rolling away on it's own one time and I discovered the value of the wheel locks.
icon_smile.gif

My CharBroil gasser that I bought in '05/'06 is starting to rot out. When it finally goes, I'm going to buy a Genesis. They're pricey, but Weber stand behind its products. I don't want to have to buy a new one 5 or 6 years down the road.

Back