NDTs?

ChrisInKC

NDT = Non-Dairy Turds.

Sacrilege, I know.

But does anyone have any suggestions for something I could substitute for cream cheese in an ABT so I can have an appetizer for lactose intolerant guests?

Also, will I put my long brisket cook at risk by trying to throw these on in the middle of the cook for an hour or so? I did ABTs in the middle of a BRITU cook awhile back and I'm wondering whether messing with the door to put them on and take them off and the temperature fluctuations contributed to the less than wonderful results.

Peanut butter? Avocado? Strips of tomato flesh and chopped black olives? If they're simply lactose intolerant, why not take a Lactaid pill?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the amount of lactose in cream cheese is almost neglible. The waste product of the cheesemaking process contains nearly all the lactose, along with whey proteins.

I would think bread crumbs (spiced) mixed with some binder like egg might be a good possibility. Or, you could always use soy cheese. I've never had the stuff but I know it's sold.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the amount of lactose in cream cheese is almost neglible. The waste product of the cheesemaking process contains nearly all the lactose, along with whey proteins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well--I'm quoting you--
icon_smile.gif
No, cream cheese contains quite a bit of lactose for the reason you note. It is not made by whey separation. The cheeses that are--the hard cheeses, mostly--contain little in the way of lactose because the whey is separated out. Jack, especially dry jack, the cheddars, asigo, parm, romano, most of the blue cheeses, etc. A couple of these--probably a cheddar-jack combo, maybe with an asiago addition--possibly with moistened spiced bread, as Phil suggests, would be what I would likely go with. Intolerence ? allergy.

Back