Natural Gas Line Question

Dave Moser

I think this is a Larry question but I’ll take sage advice from any of you veterans out there.

I’ve got a Genesis 2 E-410 NG that I picked up off the marketplace a couple of months ago.

It has a 1/2 inch connection for the gas line but I have a 3/8 inch line available. I have a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer to hook up the hose, but now I’m second guessing whether that will provide enough NG flow. The kicker is, this is only my 2nd NG restoration project and I don’t have an NG line to test on before selling. My plan there is to deliver the grill to whomever buys it, help hook up and make sure everything works as it should before completing the sale. I would like to avoid as many “surprises” as possible.

Appreciate any advice/ experiences you can share.

Thanks, and I love this forum!!

Hey Larry I know you will see this one.......this is my buddy Dave that has joined the group.......I told him you would know the right answer........fingers crossed

I have in my notes 3/8" natural gas supply hose spec'd for 50K BTU with a fairly long run ( 20 to 50 feet). the Genesis II E410 is 48K BTU so it should be fine.

edit: added natural gas above.

Last edited:
I have in my notes 3/8" supply hose spec'd for 50K BTU with a fairly long run ( 20 to 50 feet). the Genesis II E410 is 48K BTU so it should be fine.
Oh yeah. It wasn't until recently they began shipping with larger hoses. But, really it's unnecessary. Heck I was running my Wolf on 3/8" because I could not find 1/2" easily. And for 90% of what it needed to do it ran fine.

Dave don't worry about the 3/8" line (sorry I was running kids all over hell and back). Anyway, heck I run my Flame (which is 60k) on a 3/8 line. Though honestly I think I should be on 1/2" but the 3/8" should easily supply 50K and you're not even close to that
Thanks, Larry. I didn’t think to look at the BTU ratings. My buddy Jim V told me you would know! That’s good news, I feel a lot more comfortable with the 3/8 inch line on it now.

Thanks again!

I just had NG hooked up to my home and had a line run to my deck. It is a 1/2" outlet, but I plan to reduce it down to 3/8" at the outlet and run a 3/8" line to my grill.....Once I get around to do it anyway.

I just had NG hooked up to my home and had a line run to my deck. It is a 1/2" outlet, but I plan to reduce it down to 3/8" at the outlet and run a 3/8" line to my grill.....Once I get around to do it anyway.
Bruce, do you have the parts to properly convert your grill to NG? I hope you aren't going to buy a conversion kit on eBay 😜

Back