Mythbustin'..... Lookin' vs. Cookin'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Y:
Interesting read, Matt, thanks!
I'm not one to raise the lid much anyway, because I don't baste or spritz...AND I'm not too anal about temp swings......but I DO like to "snitch" or "sample" when I think the meat is gettin' close....
My motto is: "If you ain't snitchin', you WILL BE BIT**IN'"
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this premise and empirically in my cooks balanced with a notion toward impact on temp control.

Basting/spritzing other "frivolous" notions that keep you opening the lid every 20-30, minutes is most hazardous to cook times and temp control.

The surface treatment focus is easily discarded as basically non-funtional. I.E. without merit IMHO and experience.

All of which are easily replaced with post prep methods which provide equal or most often better results than spritzing, basting provide during the primary stage of cooking.

Remember the oven in your kitchen swings + or - 25 degrees. The thought that you need to control temps in the WSM to a finer degree is kind of funny. So opening a few times here or there is not a major concern, just "make it count". Since adjusting for swings larger than 25 degree in an outdoor oven like the WSM can take much longer to correct if they get out of control.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Remember the oven in your kitchen swings + or - 25 degrees. The thought that you need to control temps in the WSM to a finer degree is kind of funny. So opening a few times here or there is not a major concern, just "make it count". Since adjusting for swings larger than 25 degree in an outdoor oven like the WSM can take much longer to correct if they get out of control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice point. Its one that's often overlooked. I recall reading something about PID stoker controllers, and the authors decided to check their high end wolf oven and found swings greater than what their stoker controlled smokers ended up with. In our quest for ultimate temp control we often focus on the trees and lose sight of the forest.

Back