My WSM is sick

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I don't know what's wrong. I've never had a problem with it before. Last cook I did was a tri-tip. I always cook tris at 350. I usually put almost a full ring of charcoal in, light it by putting some charcoal lighter fluid on the whole thing, let the coals completely ash over, assemble and add 2 gals of water to the brinkman pan. Almost always my temp will go right to 450. Then, when I put the meat on, the heatsink will drop it down to 350 and it will stay there like a rock for the entire cook.

Well, my last tri it wouldn't stay there. As a matter of fact, it barely gets to 300. Same thing is happening tonight with my chicken.

1. I checked the temps with 2 thermometers...both within 1 degree of each other. So it's not the therm.

2. Bottom section is clean of ashes, and vents are 100% open and clear. I even cracked the door a little to allow more oxygen in after the temps wouldn't come up.

3. It is not cold here, actually 100 degrees.

4. Top vent is fully open.

5. I'm using kingsford charcoal, and the bag has been sitting open in a shed. But, I live in an extremely arid environment, so I highly doubt it picked up moisture.

All I can think of is that the charcoal has to be "bad" somehow. I don't know how, but it's all I can think of. Any other guesses?

I guess one of the beauties of the WSM is that there aren't many mechanical to troubleshoot. If you are getting too hot... then you could blame it on the lack of tight airflow. If it isn't getting hot enough, the only problem is fuel.

I seriously think that every once in a while, for some unkown reason, a bag of kingsford is bad. It doesn't make sense, but one time I had the exact same problem. I did everything like usual, but the dumb charcoal wouldn't get hot enough. Who knows.

I guess the only think to do to find out is to get a new bag of kingsford and try it out again.

I hope you figure it out... and if you do, let me know what the problem was.

If the bag was open top for a long time, moisture may be the culprit. Also, if you were in a windy area, that can do it, as well.

Hi. I only use water in the pan when I'm cooking low - 225 - 250. With an empty but foiled pan, I find it much easier to hit and maintain 350 or more. I haven't had that much experience with using my WSM yet, but do find that this works - for what it's worth!

Andrew

My WSM isn't sick. It's just that I'm an idiot...

On my previous high temp cooks in the wsm, I never used the water pan. These last two I did. Geez, 27 years old and already I'm getting senile.
icon_frown.gif

Doing a tri tip cook tonight...confidence resored...wish me luck!

I didn't want to question your experience, but I was wondering how you got the temp so high with water in the pan. Glad you got it figured out.

Back