My WSM Cart

Stefan B

TVWBB All-Star
So, a buddy and i are working on building a cart for my smoker.

Below are some pic's to give ya'll an idea of where it's heading.

We are just pricing out materials and hope to get construction underway soon.

More as it evolves.

Stefan,very cool! Just make sure you have enough room between the WSM and the wood. Can't wait until it's actually done. Hurry up!

That looks really interesting and very attractive, Stefan. I don't want to be a party pooper, but please think about these things also.

Radiant heat can be insidious and dangerous. Please do some research on this and be sure you are making something safe. If you ever do a high heat cook, you'll need to allow your design to handle it.

You need to ensure your front opening space is adequate to be able to do everything through the door that you want -- stir coals, add water, add wood, add burning coals, etc.

Do you use a probe? -- have you decided how you will do it with this enclosure.

You will need to have access in to adjust your lower vents.

Assume you will drop at least one burning coal inside (even if you never do). How will you manage that?

Have you considered making any of the mods to your WSM? If so, does your design (the grand mod, right? :&lt
icon_wink.gif
allow for it/them?

I hope you won't look at these thoughts as negative. I was paid for many years as a project planner so I just think in terms of what needs to be handled for a successful project.

Rich

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
That looks really interesting and very attractive, Stefan. I don't want to be a party pooper, but please think about these things also.

Radiant heat can be insidious and dangerous. Please do some research on this and be sure you are making something safe. If you ever do a high heat cook, you'll need to allow your design to handle it.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Being pondered... going to have the back open in some fashion and as you can see the front fully opens to allow heat to escape. Also will have a large circular hole cut below the wsm</span>

You need to ensure your front opening space is adequate to be able to do everything through the door that you want -- stir coals, add water, add wood, add burning coals, etc.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I've never used water but point taken. Anytime i add coals i usually pull the mid-section. As for wood chunks as have good access through the door. </span>

Do you use a probe? -- have you decided how you will do it with this enclosure.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I have a BBQ Guru & Maverick ET-732. Holes will be made to run wires within the structure. </span>

You will need to have access in to adjust your lower vents.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Front fully opens to get to vents and the back will have a "trap door" of sorts</span>

Assume you will drop at least one burning coal inside (even if you never do). How will you manage that?

<span class="ev_code_RED">BIG TONGS
icon_smile.gif
</span>

Have you considered making any of the mods to your WSM? If so, does your design (the grand mod, right? :&lt
icon_wink.gif
allow for it/them?

<span class="ev_code_RED">Which mods do you speak of? I've put on the garage door handles. Have eyelets for probes. </span>

I hope you won't look at these thoughts as negative. I was paid for many years as a project planner so I just think in terms of what needs to be handled for a successful project.

Rich

Not at all taken in a negative way. All very constructive points Rich & appreciated.

Nothing is set in stone open to all suggestions.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Being pondered... going to have the back open in some fashion and as you can see the front fully opens to allow heat to escape. Also will have a large circular hole cut below the wsm</span>

umm, heat rises.... so a hole in the bottom would let the cooler air out and make it hotter inside.

allow for the metal of the wsm to expand a little bit too, aka breathing space. Maybe if the WSM had a ring of some sort around it that allowed the heat to escape and also provided some insulation from the round wood cutout.

Originally posted by James Pop:

umm, heat rises.... so a hole in the bottom would let the cooler air out and make it hotter inside.

allow for the metal of the wsm to expand a little bit too, aka breathing space. Maybe if the WSM had a ring of some sort around it that allowed the heat to escape and also provided some insulation from the round wood cutout.

Actually, the pic looks like there will be a gap around the top. That would create an airflow pulling cold air IN through the bottom.

All good responses to my post, Stefan -- obviously you are a step or two ahead
icon_wink.gif
. You already have the mods I was thinking of. And I was also thinking of the type of radiant heat barrier you show in that link. Just didn't know if you wanted to keep the wood look inside. I think that barrier would be very good on the bottom of the hinged top where you might get your greatest heat.

Now, assuming that you use a chimney to start your coals, how will your start up your WSM within the enclosure? My coals are sometimes still flaming when I pour them in -- regardless, it seems that pouring the coals through your door would be "exciting". And if the mid-section is on when you put the coals in, how will you get the water pan (water or no) and the lower grate in with that heat funneling up? (They used to hate it when I asked questions in meetings.
icon_biggrin.gif
)

And let me throw this one in -- when I pour coals from my chimney, it always seems that some glowing coals drop out the bottom onto my deck (especially with lump). Will you put the heat sheild on the bottom also?

Rich

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Pop:

Actually, the pic looks like there will be a gap around the top. That would create an airflow pulling cold air IN through the bottom.

All good responses to my post, Stefan -- obviously you are a step or two ahead
icon_wink.gif
. You already have the mods I was thinking of. And I was also thinking of the type of radiant heat barrier you show in that link. Just didn't know if you wanted to keep the wood look inside. I think that barrier would be very good on the bottom of the hinged top where you might get your greatest heat.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Absolutely needed on the underside of the hinged piece of wood. Good point.</span>

Now, assuming that you use a chimney to start your coals, how will your start up your WSM within the enclosure? My coals are sometimes still flaming when I pour them in -- regardless, it seems that pouring the coals through your door would be "exciting". And if the mid-section is on when you put the coals in, how will you get the water pan (water or no) and the lower grate in with that heat funneling up? (They used to hate it when I asked questions in meetings.
icon_biggrin.gif
)

<span class="ev_code_RED">Anytime i start the unit up i use a chimney. Also, always have the mid section off when getting things lit and just dump directly into charcoal ring, then assemble unit. Only once ever used water in the pan. First cook and never again. </span>

And let me throw this one in -- when I pour coals from my chimney, it always seems that some glowing coals drop out the bottom onto my deck (especially with lump). Will you put the heat sheild on the bottom also?

<span class="ev_code_RED">Will now
icon_wink.gif
</span>

Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by Stefan B:

<span class="ev_code_RED">Anytime i start the unit up i use a chimney. Also, always have the mid section off when getting things lit and just dump directly into charcoal ring, then assemble unit. Only once ever used water in the pan. First cook and never again. </span>

You have my curiosity up... You'll pour a lit chimney in from the top? With a drop of about 2 feet? Or do you plan to pour through the door? I have trouble imagining that as your arms would have to be almost directly over the very hot chimney, no?

It seems that if you have the mid-section off, you might devise a chute so you could pour through your cabinet door.

Or maybe you can just correct my misunderstanding.
icon_eek.gif

I really am fascinated by this project. As you can see, I'm a woodworker and this looks like a nice and potentially beautiful build.

Rich

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife)

You have my curiosity up... You'll pour a lit chimney in from the top? With a drop of about 2 feet? Or do you plan to pour through the door? I have trouble imagining that as your arms would have to be almost directly over the very hot chimney, no?

It seems that if you have the mid-section off, you might devise a chute so you could pour through your cabinet door.

Or maybe you can just correct my misunderstanding.
icon_eek.gif

I really am fascinated by this project. As you can see, I'm a woodworker and this looks like a nice and potentially beautiful build.

Rich

No, i only pour a lit chimney directly into the charcoal bowl / chamber without the center section on. Once lit has been poured and then assemble mid-section to charcoal bowl.

That's really nice Stephan! I would build it just the way you designed it and then work the bugs out. I would start lighting it with a torch rather than a chimney through the door to make things easier. I wouldn't worry to much about high heats and it catching fire. Just open the door if you ever need to. The Imperial Seqouia worked well for many years without a problem. Smokers usually run lower anyway. I especially love the swing out lid hook! That is saaweet! Please save the plans for others like me to copy.
icon_wink.gif

Having designed the 22, i'm gonna love how this all turns out. I see some good and bads here.

though remember when using a heat shield, you will deflect heat back into the smoker. we noticed this after adding the shield to the 18..

Let me read thru this a few times and i'll offer my free 2 cents. I think it can be done, but it's easy for things to catch fire. You may be good with a 4-6 hour cook, but then you do an overnight and who knows...

Should be a good project though.

So, now that i'm a proud owner of a 22.5 OTG i want to have both the WSM & OTG in this cart. Question for ya'll is do you think the OTG can be supported by its two carry handles? My idea was take the legs off completely, cut a hole in what was the work space and drop it in.

On the lighting issue, you could use one of these:

charstarter.jpg

Just plug in and go, no worries about hot coals falling on wood..

Stefan,

I can speak to some of these issues. My WSM and kettle are built in, however, my materials are concrete board and tile.

Your biggest issue is going to be the wood drying out over time. My enclosure (mostly the counter top where the kettle is in contact with the enclosure like the kettle in the link above) can warm up when grilling hot for an hour or so. The area where the WSM is located is not as problematic. With good ventilation you can really minimize heat exposure to your enclosure. I have a couple 6in x 3in vents on the bottom and the top, right under to counter top. I recommend the diameter of the opening in the top an inch or more larger then the lip of the middle section of wsm. A couple of reasons: additional ventilation, and the distance from the radiant heat of the chamber will go along way toward slowing the drying in that vulnerable area. An extra inch makes a big difference here. A silicone gasket or even an oven gasket might work well as an insulating barrier if you want that gap closer.

As for those coals that get away, place some cheap ceramic tiles on the floor of the enclosure. You may want to consider some drainage just in case you get caught in the rain.

For vent access I have the wsm on a lazy susan. .

As Shaun suggests, I use a torch for startup, and virtually eliminated the runaway coal scenario.

Best of luck on your build!

gary

@ Wayne - As of late i've been using a propane torch to start either in chimney or on grill.

Gary - Thanks for your reply. I like the 'lazy susan' idea!
icon_wink.gif

Can anyone speak to my OTG being supported by the handle tabs?

Back