My Weekend Cook!

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Hi y'all,

I started cooking last night; am 8 lb. butt and an 8 lb. brisket flat and they are done now. I am also cooking 3 slabs of spares that I trimmed KC style so I can cut up the tips. The ribs are cooking now but here are some pics of the butt and the flat...

Here is the prep pic, I am using a new rub I created...

Here is the finished flat...

Here is the finished butt...

I will have more pics later!
icon_smile.gif

Hey all,

Here are some more pics of the pulled pork and the sliced brisket...

Pork Pics... I think this is the tastiest butt I've cooked too!

Brisket Pics... This is definitely the best flat yet and I think the rub had a lot to do with it!

The ribs are still cooking but I will have pics of them too. I am on my way to take my neighbor a plate!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Trammell:
Looks great Tony! Did they finish simultaneously? Also, tell us about your new rub! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat, they finished about 2 hours apart. The flat was done in 12 hours and the butt in 14. The rub is based on a flavor I tasted while passing through Tennessee. I stopped a small joint call Double Rs BBQ. Their ribs kicked the living @$$#$ out of mine and it was all due to the rub which was Cumin and Black Pepper heavy - definitely the base. The ribs were spicy but the pork flavor was intense! So, I thought I would give it a try and so far, so good!

Tony

Tony, I think cumin is one of the most underrated of the rub spices. Would you mine sharing your rub with us, or would that be a "state secret."

Ok, Here are the rib pics. I know I said I was going to do them on the CG but the WSM was already hot and it started raining, so the WSM sit nicely on the porch. These ribs were fantastic (not just my words).

Rib Done on the WSM... what a great cooker!

This was a great cook and my timing got better this time. I started cooking the butt and brisket at 8p Friday, I put the ribs on at 11a Saturday and everything was done by 7:30p Saturday.

For you WSM owners, remeber that the lid temp will read about 15 degrees hotter than the top grate, so, if you want to cook in the 225-235 range your lid temp needs to read between 240-250 degrees. I did not remeber this on my previous cooks and I kept my lid temp at 225-235 which means I was cooking lower and slower than I really wanted to - this made my cooks very long.

Tony

Back