My version of ABT's

I know I have seen many posts about ABT's. I have seen them, drooled over them, dreamed about them until I decided to make my own.
I did not take before pics, as I was didn't think about it, but here is the final outcome:

My recipe:

7 jalepenos ( cut the top off, sliced in half, deseeded, etc. Made 14 total after prepping)
1 package of thin cut bacon
1 package of sausage smokies (I only wanted to use 4 of them just to see if I liked the smokies in it -- turns out it was awesome, used the remaining in a crock pot with carolina mustard BBQ sause to nibble on while watching Pre-Season Football -- haha)

Mixture:
4 oz of cream cheese
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of mozzerla cheese
1 tbs of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs of cajun seasons
3 tbs of srirachi sauce

Dry Rub:
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbs of garlic powder
1 tbs of onion powder
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp of cajun seasons

Mix the mixture contents together to make a paste.

Loaded each half jalepeno with the paste and cut a sausage smokie in half ( did not want the whole one in there), then wrapped in bacon.
After I prepped all 14 of the ABT's, I then rolled and covered each one in my dry rub I use for ribs, to give it that candy coating you see.

Smoked at 225 degrees for around 60 - 70 minutes until the bacon was fully cooked.

Thanks for looking!

-Austin

Last edited:
Nicely done Austin, way to take a classic and make it your own. I bet that were very flavorful and a hit with those that ate them.

Thanks! With only 4 of the 14 with the smokie in them, it was like playing ABT roulette. Ha! It was a hit and they had some kick I tell ya!

Like that mozzarella in there. I prefer mozz to cheddar, but that's just me.

Any thoughts on the rub?

Hey Austin those ABT's look just the way they are suppose to look-Like "Turds".:D Great Job.
No disrespect to anybody but when I see them done with just a small piece of bacon wrapped around the middle with lots of exposed pepper I think to myself "those might taste good but they do not look like Turds".

Thanks Steve! I'm impressed with myself it came out like that on my first attempt! Haha! I also have never seen them covered in a rub prior which added some real nice flavor!

Back