My Turn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Weisse

TVWBB Super Fan
Okay, my WSM arrived today and tomorrow is the big initiation. Egad, that thing looks great next to my old ECB! Anyway, I've got an 8-lb pork butt with rub applied (Willinghams's mild) sitting in the fridge. I didn't bother to trim because it didn't seem like there was much fat on my butt.

I guess I'm looking at 10-12 hrs at 250, looking for an internal temp of 195. I'll be using le Methode Minion. The plan is to use 3 chunks of hickory for the smoke. Any last minute words of advice?

Tony

Yes, issue sunglasses to the neighbors so they won't be blinded by that big smile on your face! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tony...

I would plan a little longer for this cook. It will take about 2 hrs./lb. at 225? grate level..that's 16 hours total. Your lid temp will be higher than the grate temp. So, plan accordingly.

Better to finish and hold than try to hurry it up.

Good luck!

By the way, I ordered through Amazon on Sunday and took delivery on Friday, even though it was free freight! Great deal, no damage, support this web site. Who could ask for more?

Hey tony, I'm waiting for mine as I type this. I ordered through Amazon on Tuesday. So it should be here sometime the middle of next week.
But I did get my Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer today. So of course I had to test it out. I've got a 4.5lb on my Weber kettle right now. It's about 2.5 hours into cook right now. The thermometer is great. But I had to figure out that I needed to keep my patio door blinds open to get a good signal. Otherwise it kept loosing it.

But I'm really satisfied with the Mavericeck ET-73 so far. It's very nice not having to worry about checking the grill every so often. I love it!

Hey Dennis,

I thought about having a dual christening with you, but couldn't wait to fire up the WSM. My unit shipped from Nevada on Monday and was here on Friday. Bet your's comes on Monday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Weisse:
[qb] Hey Dennis,

I thought about having a dual christening with you, but couldn't wait to fire up the WSM. My unit shipped from Nevada on Monday and was here on Friday. Bet your's comes on Monday. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah I wanted some pulled pork to bring to my brothers today anyway. The alarm for the thermometer went off waking me up. the temp dropped to 210f. So I opened up some of the vents a bit. The meat temp is at 180 right now. Should be done in no time at all now!

I just cant believe how easy it's been to manage the temps on my kettle. The hottest it got last night was about 267f. And then it started dropping from there and hovered between 210 and 250 all night long. I have not added any charcoal again either. Cool!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]I just cant believe how easy it's been to manage the temps on my kettle.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's amazing! Granted, I never monitored temp. much in my ECB, but it was all over the place. You could just tell by putting your hand on the lid.

Meat's been on two hours now and the WSM is rocking along at 240 TTL. I have a couple of questions for anyone out there . . .

1. Reading info on the site shows grill temp about 10-15 less than lid temp. My therm goes about 4 inches through the lid. Is the temp differential still 10-15?

2. Vents are now set at 100/25/0. Should I shift the open vent around to get an even burn on the charcoal?

Thanks!

I assume when you say lid temp you're referring to temp measured through the vent on the lid ? You'll see that referred to as dome temp a lot. The temp on the top cooking rack is lower than the dome temp and the lower rack is even lower than the top rack I think the top rack is about 15-25 degress lower , i.e. if your dome temp is 250 then the top rack is around 225 to 235. Bottom rack is a little cooler. Yes I think the 4 in. prob on your thermometer would be consistent with these variations.

I usually keep all three vents adjusted about
the same,
, but I've certainly heard the experts say they
do it differently. I would not recommend moving the cooker during the cook to expose the open vent to more or less air. I believe that could be dangerous.

HTH

PRG

Tony,
Congrads on your new WSM.
Just pulled 4 butts off the WSM with an internal temp of 192 right at the 16 hour mark. They literally fell apart. This is the first time I haven't wraped with foil at 12 hours and 160 degree. If you haven't passed that point yet, just for easy removal you may want to wrap.

Paul,

Yes, I mean dome temp. It's sticking right between 235-250, so I guess I should be happy?

I didn't describe it very well, but I meant opening a different vent so that the air flow would be on a different bunch of coals. You're right, it'd be a potential disaster to try to move the WSM. Plus it would probably shake loose a bunch of ashes.

Thanks for the help!

Tony

Guess we had what was described in Cool Hand Luke as "a failure to communicate". Anyway sounds like you've got things going well. That's one of the great things about WSM - it is forgiving and precise adjustments don't seem so critical.

I really don't know about 3 vents versus 1 or 2. It would make sense to me to have a somewhat even flow of air in a circular charcoal bowl ? However, THE MAN, Jim Minion, apparently only uses one vent, but he may also walk on water. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good luck on your cook.

PRG

Took the pork off at 12 hours with an internal temp of about 180, shy of my goal of 190. Meat was just shy of falling apart and wonderfully moist. Wouldn't have wanted to cook any longer.

Thanks to all who provided advice and support. This is a great group helping to support a great product! I'm already planning the next cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back