My smoking life (so far)

KeithAdv

TVWBB Member
I assembled my new WSM yesterday and placed it beside my Performer. Now all I need is Saturday. I also ordered a Maverick ET-73 and some eyelets.

I got the WSM from Amazon (clicking through from this site--hope it made a few pennies on the deal). I have to say that more than anything else, vitualweberbullet convinced me to take the plunge. It's hard to overestimate the value of a site where the user forum contains six years of advice and information from experts!

The day before the WSM arrived, my local Kroger put a stack of their cryovac'ed spare ribs that had reached their sell-by date on a 1/2 price sale. (They're in my freezer now). Seems like kismet to me.

I've had the Performer for about 6 years and am still crazy about it. I grill every night I can. My next planned adventure on it is pizza.

I've also had a Char-Broil H2O electric smoker for about 2-1/2 years but have only used it a few times with indifferent results. I was tempted to think it is a piece of crap, but I suspect the truth is that it is unforgiving of people who don't know what they're doing. Maybe the analogy is that a professional guitarist can play passably well on a beginner's guitar, but a beginner can only learn to play well on a great guitar. I can see where the thing may still have some continued value to me for very short/small smokes, fish filets or whatever.

At any rate, I was amazed at the construction quality of the WSM compared to what I was used to. It's a tank! I can see how it might do a much better job of managing temperatures.

I plan to go through Wivott's 5-step course first and then begin experimenting with the information I've seen here.

Just wanted to give you all a shout-out first and thank you for building such a great resource for a beginner like me.

-Keith

Welcome Keith,

You are on the right track with the WSM. I have had mine for over 3 years and still amazed at what it can do over the cheaper models.

Keep us posted how your ribs turn out, and most any question you have can be found here.

Randy

Hi Keith, Welcome to the forum. This site is also what sold me on the WSM. I was planning on following the Professor's 5 step method, but after asking around, I decided to just jump right in and go for the ribs. I've smoked them 2, both with grat results. Then a couple of weeks ago, I did Step 1 of the Wiviott method. Best Chicken I've ever had. Moist, tender, YUMMY. Which every way you choose, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the cooker, and obviously this forum (and the site in general) is unsurpassable when it comes to the wealth of knowledge that you can get.

Keith,

I think that you will find that the WSM and the Performer compliment each other very well.

Some folks try to cook everything on the WSM. I think part of this desire is to prove the WSM is a do everything tool. I guess that's OK but I have found many items are just done better (in my humble opinion) on the Performer with less coals and less time, just as the WSM handles other items that the Performer pretty much will ruin (pork butt's, brisket, etc). A few meat items can be done equally well on both. I think pork ribs fall into this latter category.

But part of the fun is experimenting. I think you will have a great time breaking in your new WSM.

Have a blast!

Kieth I just wanted to mention that you should check the label on those ribs to see if they are injected. Our local Kroger doesn't have anything pork that isn't injected. If they are cut out the salt in your rub.

That's why I love this site! I was so dazzled by the half-price thingy I grabbed them and ran. Yes, I see now that you are right--Kroger has lovingly enhanced the ribs by 12% with a solution of water, salt, and sodium phosphates. Yummy. I'll adjust accordingly.

FWIW, we have a superb meat market in town--Carfagna's--where I buy 100% of our meat. No processing worries there. This was just a sale I couldn't resist. :)

-Keith

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">FWIW, we have a superb meat market in town </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Welcome Keith,

Where are you located? You can put your city / state in your profile and it will show on your posts.

Ray

Done!

We live in New Albany, a suburb of Columbus. (Not Georgia--the real Columbus in Ohio!)
icon_smile.gif

Keith,
I once purchased "flavor enhanced" spares. What a waste of my smoking energy. I would have had as much luck putting BBQ sauce on a smoked salt block. Good luck, but don't have high hopes on the ribs.

Back