My Second Go Round with Ribs

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
I called my butcher and requested another set of spares, his wife answered and said she would relay the message, lesson 4. I just placed them in the fridge until earlier this morning. I thought maybe this time I should start while the sun is coming up instead of going down. I opened the package to find what I think was "Country Style Spares". They were huge, I was wondering why the cost was different from the last try. They were already pretty much split and much thicker.
014.jpg

Again I didn't take many pics. I was kind of disappointed from the start upon realizing this. But, what da hay, it's another experience on something different. I gave it my best.
They turned out ok, Toni liked them but I had my heart on some spares. Again, the flavor and taste was there.
015.jpg

They were dry not horribly dry but not moist like I was hoping for.
016.jpg

017.jpg

I'm not sure if I cooked them to long by cooking them for 4 hours and then foiled in a boat not wrapped, for an hour or if my temps between 247 and 280 were to inconsistent or to much. Or if my inexperience with lump means I should try using my KB until I get a better handle on this or what. We ate it!!;)

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited:
I don't know that they're Country Style, they kind of look like Baby Backs. I guess it depends whether they cost more or less than the last try. Either way, they look great.

A little more practice with KB would be good until you get a handle on it. I used it for about a year or so before I moved on to lump. But your ribs look good. Thats the good thing with this BBQ thing. Even when your food doesn't turn out quite the way you planned - its still pretty good.

They look like bone-in csr's to me.
That means they are cut from the lean loin portion.
Bone-less csr's are usually pork butt cut into strips.

Bone-in's should be cooked more like a pork chop, to about 140>145 internal, and a simple brine for a couple or 3 hours before grilling helps retain moisture. (Wicker's is good for this too)
Bone-less csr's can be cooked low and slow longer, until tender.

Having said all that, they look terrific Gene!

Thank you all. I really mean that.

Bob, I thought that's what they were when I unwrapped them yesterday morning. Well, live and learn. I'll know better the next time my butcher's wife makes takes the call;). They weren't bad just I know they could've been better. I'll know for sure what to do the next round. Hey check out my mods in the WSM Modification Forum :) I'm really happy the way it all turned out. See you all soon

Back