My Second Gas Cook: Genesis...?

MichaelLC

TVWBB Pro
Just thought I'd share for your amusement what I'm pretty sure is my second cook on a gasser; using a Genesis of indeterminate age at our rental house

Grill certainly worked for our needs of burgers and steaks. Cooking grates were fine after a quick brushing from someone who melted cheese all over, the flavorizer bars had a few rusted spots but the grates below those were in bad shape.

Starter didn't seem to work so had to light with a stick lighter which was a little exciting compare to the boring lighting of a Royal Oak tumbleweed. No spatula but thankfully had metal tongs, though I'm pretty sure past guests used a plastic spatula.

Edit: Just to add, this was last week so future guests' problem.

PXL_20220322_235428240.jpg
PXL_20220321_163607509.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220321_164158372.jpg
    PXL_20220321_164158372.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Looks like a 2011 to 2016 E310

The igniter not working could be simple to fix.

The igniter uses a AA battery.

It could be a dead battery or the contacts could be corroded. Here's a Pic of mine. just unscrew the button to get to the battery.

20220401_122044.jpg

And the cooking grates are upside down.

That can re-start the "which side up" debate. Some Weber cast iron grates were clearly meant to be used flat side up while some of the earlier ones, I believe, were intended to be used narrow side up like you found that grill. I think it really depends mainly on what you like. I did an experiment once with one flat side up and one narrow side up using a set of the original Weber cast iron grates. I was also testing the idea of having a perforated metal panel underneath to try and create an "infrared" effect - and as an alternative to GrillGrates. Not impressed with that part, but you can evaluate my results for yourself. I think if you are aiming for more "crust" the flat side works better. If you want distinct, sharp grill marks the narrow side works best. Anymore, I vacillate between both as having their own appeal.

Steaks on grates flat vs narrow side up.jpeg

Good Test. I bet there is little difference in taste between the right and left meat.

Similar to Broil King cast iron grates, reversible. The BK ribs are slightly concave on the flat side to hold juices.

Weber says thin side for "delicate" items like fish.
Except on the newer version of the grates they made them impossible to reverse because they have the field (Cross) bars raised on one side which precludes anything laying flat or being able to use a spatula. Could you imagine trying to cook a salmon filet on that side?

If you can find an old Genesis with these original cast iron grates still in salvageable condition, these are the ones you want. Look for that Patent engraving:

Weber Uncoated Cast Iron with Patent.jpeg

Even if covered with surface rust, you can usually bring them back:

Cast Iron Restoration.jpeg

Cast Iron Restored in Skyline Grill.jpeg

If you can find an old Genesis with these original cast iron grates still in salvageable condition, these are the ones you want. Look for that Patent engraving:

View attachment 48405

Even if covered with surface rust, you can usually bring them back:

View attachment 48406

View attachment 48407

Just a quick comment. These grates will work on x000 and silver B/C size grills..

Yet, the first post Is is a 300 series and the grates are a different size.

Just a quick comment. These grates will work on x000 and silver B/C size grills..

Yet, the first post Is is a 300 series and the grates are a different size.
Thanks for your post. Yes, I should have clarified that. By the time the 300 series came out, Weber was no longer making the really high quality cast iron they did back in the day. Not saying you can't good results with some of their later offerings, just not likely to last as long. The worst, though, were the grates that replaced the ones I posted and were common on Silver and maybe later x000 grills. Porcelain coated cast iron. They looked so nice when you bought them, but it didn't take long before that black porcelain was flaking off and decorating your burgers:sick:.

Should I just sand off the porcelain and season like uncoated CI? Sanding the flat side should be easy?

If you have the patience to get all that stuff off, then sounds like a great idea. I have saved 2 or 3 sets of those porcelain coated cast iron grates. They LOOK like they are about the same as the original ones other than the coating. Since I like the thin side, too, I have never had the time or patience to tackle them. A lot of nooks and crannies if you want to use both sides.

If you can sand/grind all the porcelain off and then season, you will probably have a very nice set of grates. Yes, high maintenance, but I am a sentimentalist and still find something special about cooking on cast iron. And, yes, I know high-quality stainless will work just as well.

Back