My Rib Technique: what is yours?

It is remarkable to me that with the number of ribs that we collectively have Q'd there is still so much conversation about how to do it!

I'm responding primarily to Todd R's comment that his wife likes Lloyds pre-cooked and sauced ribs. We used to eat those too, until I discovered the WSM. I think they're good, but not as good as mine.

My first few smokes I made rub-only ribs and offered some sauce at the table. My S-O didn't care for them much, and eventually got up the courage to tell me she likes her ribs with sauce.

So, now here's what I do:
Rub and smoke with a spicey rub (throat burn, not mouth burn). Smoke about 5 hours for Spares, pull them off when they pull away from the bone and have that beautiful mahogany color.
Foil and put in paper bag or cooler for about hour.
Un-Foil and cut into individual ribs or rib pairs.
Stir in a large bowl with bbq sauce, something on the sweet side.
Grill on the gasser (you could WSM them, but I don't think it is worth the hassle) until they bubble, pop, singe and generally get GBD (Golden Brown and Delicious).
Serve with long tongs so the savages don't eat my arm.

These are fabulous ribs, once served all conversation stops. I'm perfecting my rub and sauce, going for the spicy sweet interchange.

Anyone ever heard of foiling them with mustard and sweet pickle relish? Friend of mine says that is his method (he uses large homemade drum type mounted on trailer). I've yet to get to try them, but hopefully will get to.

Hey chrisnole88--that nole looks real nice.

Tom

Tom-

A Nole is always a good thing, interesting note on the sweet relish, will have to give that a try. PS I have a ton of family in Jackson County, FL (Grand Ridge, Marianna). I've had some good times at Lake Seminole and The Chattahoochee River too (The Hootch!). Keep smokin' and Scalp Em!

Just did 3 racks of spares Sun. This is the 1st time I have tried it. I read the prep section and figured it out. I put 1 rub on 2 racks and a diff. rub on the 3rd. Put them on at 1330 turned at 1640 and took off at 1600. Thermometer was at 25 (+/-5) the entire time. Lit charcoal by MM, 3 chucnks of hickory and had water pan full (@6 qt). Basted w/ sauce last 45 min. and they came off great. Great mild smokey flavor, mild spice from rub and sweet/spice from sauce. The ribs were not "fall off the bone" but I had to be carefull handeling, b/c the weight was tearing them apart. I let them sit 15/20 min and then cut into individual ribs for the table. So far, the WSM has been a sucess at my house.

Back