My Platinum/Gold build.

CSchaefer

I recently bought a 2005 Genesis Platinum B for personal use. The bottom of the cabinet was toast as many are. But it came with a cover and an almost full tank. All this for $50. After looking around at some of the builds here, I decided I would refresh it and convert this to an open frame griller. This is my version of down-converting a Platinum to a Platinum/Gold (my term) model.

First step when I got it home was to check to see if it fired up. The seller said that it needed new burners. Well, it did fire up. The burners were in good shape and only needed some wire wheel work. I noticed that the crossover tube had some rusted-away sections so I found one for cheap $ on ereplacementparts.com. I guess this is not uncommon. The flavorizer bars also had some rusted-away sections so purchased a set of SS replacements. Unfortunately, I bought the wrong, longer ones so instead of returning the, I just cut them to the proper length.

I removed and disassembled the heat box. The aluminum box and side covers were wire wheeled and sanded down to bare metal and then painted with Rustoleum Ultra Heat paint.

The igniter was showing a fair amount of rust too. Sections were missing so I fashioned a new cover that fit over the original cover and tack-welded it in place. I don’t know how long it will last, at least it works for now.

As with all of these conversions, I had to do something with the frame. It needed something to stabilize the two end pieces together. After looking around for various alternatives, I settled on using a piece of aluminum angle that I had been given years ago. I cut it to length and cut a piece to fit the ends. I tig-welded it (my 1st attempt at aluminum TIG welding I might add) together and drilled a hole in the ends. Then measured the SS legs and drilled them through. I purchased some SS bolts and bolted the pieces in place. It is so much more stable now.

The frame extensions that support the shelves have a device placed inside to secure them to the main frame. Unfortunately, all 4 of mine had the spot welds fail. I decided to pop-rivet the devices to the extensions. They serve their function, but there is some motion left. If I were to do it again I would plug weld them instead of pop riveting.

Next up was finding a rack that would fit. Based on another suggestion by someone here, I found a gray Closetmaid shelf at my local Home Depot that fit the job almost perfectly when cut to length. Another $13 spent if I include the gray plastic caps to fit the cut ends. The gray also looks good against the aluminum and SS frame pieces it is supported on. I say almost because the aluminum frame rails that I added were about 1/16” too sort for perfection. I ended up cutting the end small wires in order to fit between the legs. The front didn’t seem to have a problem. I guess the closet shelves are not made as consistently as a machinist would. Looking back now, I could have just added a spacer to spread the rear legs that 1/16”. Oh well.

I wire-brushed the remains of some grilling and some rust from the SS grill grates. Loose pieces were tack welded back in place. They were then given a seasoning with Peanut oil twice.

I think the Weber warming racks were chrome plated steel as there was deep, deep rust on these. I sandblasted them down to clean metal and gave them a 2x seasoning like the grill grates. I hope this will control the rusting. I doubt that I will use them, but they will be available if I ever do want to use them.

The last thing to deal with was the tank scale. If I left it in its original location, the curvature of the tank would hang-up on the bottom frame rail. Some of these conversion add a second frame rail and mount the tank bumpers on them. I decided to just lower the tank using an adapter. The bumpers were relocated from the side panel, now gone, to the original frame rail. I think this will work perfectly thru the full range of LP in the tank.

That is my story. All in all, I think the clean-up/conversion was a success. I have yet to sacrifice a cow on it.

P.S. I have most of the parts removed listed in the Buy section if anyone is interested in them.IMG_20210712_095340007a.jpgIMG_20210712_095212916.jpgIMG_20210712_095354428.jpgIMG_20210712_095439472.jpgIMG_20210712_095453576.jpgIMG_20210712_095543272.jpg

Great refurb. The bottom wire shelving is a good improvement.

FYI, do you know that the size warmer rack (which you will never use) actually goes on the brackets inside the lid?

Wasn't sure if you were hanging that from the cook box side just to fit it into the picture frame.

Great refurb. The bottom wire shelving is a good improvement.

FYI, do you know that the size warmer rack (which you will never use) actually goes on the brackets inside the lid?

Wasn't sure if you were hanging that from the cook box side just to fit it into the picture frame.
Weber part #7513 Warming Rack is one like this one. I think he has the one from the cook box lid in front of it.

20210711_Grill Out Handle Light pic 1.jpg

Last edited:
GOod restore on that grill. I think I will using your bracket idea for lowering the tank down like you did when I get to that part on my SS Platinum grill.

The rack from the Lid is:

Warming Rack - Genesis Gold/Platinum​

$35.99

Product Features​

Includes 1 warming basket.
Please double check the specs and fits info to ensure that you’re choosing the best part for your grill. Questions? Our team of grilling experts are here to help: 800-446-1071 or support@weberste
Show More
Part Number: #80623

Very nice build.

So nice in fact, if it were mine, I might splurge for some SS tubing for the base. Or, paint the wire shelf and aluminum black, that will bring the black down from the grill lid, visually ground it, and just "tie the whole room together". :LOL:

Tim, that sounds like something my wife would say. She couldn't car a less about how it grills or functions as long as it it Fung Shey or whatever.

Tim, that sounds like something my wife would say. She couldn't car a less about how it grills or functions as long as it it Fung Shey or whatever.
Good for her. . .lol. I can't help it and I think sometimes folks just don't know. I've been compensated well for my artistic/design opinions, and here it's free :ROFLMAO:. It's never meant as a criticism or anything.

Guaranteed, 15 minutes painting the bottom black will be a huge improvement in appearance . . . or your money back! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I have (think I have) a factory black bottom rack for my 2005 SS Platinum rebuild. But, mine is otherwise going to be a frankengrill sporting a black control panel and black handles and knobs. Black on SS Silver.

And Tim, I didn't mean to smack down your suggestion. It just seemed very familiar (Wife).

I have (think I have) a factory black bottom rack for my 2005 SS Platinum rebuild. But, mine is otherwise going to be a frankengrill sporting a black control panel and black handles and knobs. Black on SS Silver.

And Tim, I didn't mean to smack down your suggestion. It just seemed very familiar (Wife).
Is this your intention Bruce?

Platinum Blue pic 1.jpg

Very nice build.

So nice in fact, if it were mine, I might splurge for some SS tubing for the base. Or, paint the wire shelf and aluminum black, that will bring the black down from the grill lid, visually ground it, and just "tie the whole room together". :LOL:
Tim, That would be nice. I looked for tubing locally, even looked for retail businesses going out of business for chrome racks. Nothing showed up. I hesitate to paint a plastic coated shelf for fear of the paint peeling off. I don't think paint is dependable. I don't want this to be a showcase, just a useable backyard grill. As such I also don't want to put a lot of $$ into it. I do agree it would a step up. I would like to find a black control panel though. Do you know offhand if "any or all" pre 2007 panels are the same size and fit?

@CSchaefer I would trade you a Black Control panel, plus Knobs and Rocker Switch that have been dyed black for your Grey Control Panel and Knobs and Rocker Switch.

Last edited:
@CSchaefer I would trade you a Black Control panel, plus Knobs and Rocker Switch that have been dyed black for your Grey Control Panel and Knobs and Rocker Switch.
I was actually thinking of using the black panel with the gray knobs and rocker for a bit of pop. Yours is a fair offer that could benefit us both. Let me mull that over.

BTW, is that your Blue grill above? Very nice!

Well, kinda. I will be ditching the cabinet due to the bottom and sides too being rusted out. It will be open cart. But, it will have one clear difference which will be revealed in a thread if I can pull it off.
Also, i am not sure what color lid that I will be going with yet.
I think you said you had a Texas Orange Lid. I vote for that since it is so rare.

Samuel offered, and I accepted his offer. He shipped me the black panel along with the black knobs and igniter to help me to decide. I have made my decision and have my wife's agreement. For everyone's enjoyment, I added pics of the various mixes. The first is the original Platinum panel and knobs. I think it looks rather drab. The second is the black with black. Better but not quite the "pop" I was hoping for. And the 3rd is the black panel with the gray knobs. Just like Goldilocks, This was "just right". I also included a full image of the grill with the new panel/old knobs. I really like the end result.

ThanksIMG_20210716_144442971.jpgIMG_20210716_144958828.jpgIMG_20210716_152617322.jpgIMG_20210716_152742796.jpg

Last edited:

Back