My Next Grill....Advice Please

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
So I have a Napoleon gasser and a Performer at home for grilling/smoking. I also have a Q-120 (propane) for camping. Since getting my Performer I have not cooked with gas at home. I'd like to start cooking/smoking with charcoal while camping and was thinking about either a Smokey Joe, Go-Anywhere or a Jumbo. We are a family of 4 and I would like the ability to smoke and/or cook indirect if I want. I see many have converted the SJs into mini bullets. But the Jumbo's grill size is appealing.

I'm open to any feed back/opinon/thoughts. Thanks.

If you don't have a truck, van or SUV make sure a Jumbo/SJP will fit in the trunk of your car. When fully assembled it's fairly tall, especially with the lid on.

Sorry should have specified. We have a Ford Expedition and tow a Coleman Bayside popup camper with us so storage space is not an issue.

I'm using my Jumbo on the Texas coast during our winter vacation, and I've enjoyed wonderful results while cooking for as many a seven people. I squeezed seven rib-eyes on it for one cook, and 10 freshly caught speckled trout fillets on it for another cook. I love my Jumbo.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Went to my local BBQ shop yesterday and looked at the Jumbo side-by-side with the SJ Gold and here is my take for our family of 4:

Gold big enough for direct grilling, too small for an effective indirect setup. Although I could do what others here have done with the 32 Q pot making a mini WSM, it's just more size and fuss to deal with when packing. Also as others have said I don't like the vent placement on the GOLD. Up that high on the kettle bottom I can see why others have had problems getting/keeping higher temps or even having the fire snuffed out.

The Jumbo although a bit bigger on the outside for storage, feels MUCH bigger when looking at the grill surface. I'm also certain I could easily set it up for an indirect operation like a whole chicken, some ribs or a shoulder for pulled pork samys. The vents are setup in a more "traditonal kettle" location that I am more accustomed to dealing with for heat management.

At this point I'm leaning toward the Jumbo and also grabbing with it a hinged grate from a standard 18" kettle. Given it's smaller size for longer cooks I could see having to top off the charcoal/chips more often and the hinged grate would be welcomed.

Has antone done or know someone that has done a thermo mod to a Jumbo. I don't want to bring my Maverick camping just thinking of a "dial type" thermo as comes stock on the WSM.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Has antone done or know someone that has done a thermo mod to a Jumbo. I don't want to bring my Maverick camping just thinking of a "dial type" thermo as comes stock on the WSM.
, an
I thought about it, but decided the lid was too shallow for one. And until recently, I never paid much attention to thermometers while I was cooking anyway.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a new grill for your home use I don't know what kind of help you are looking. But if you have help regarding buying any other new grill so I suggest you you can buy my grill which I have its really in new condition if you want to take any more information simple replay the post.
commercial scales

Last edited:

Easiest way is to buy a thermo that sticks in the top vent and you can remove it and use it on another grill or smoker. BBQ Guru sells one with a silicone plug, or I just use a turkey fryer therm that has a clip which you can adjust for height.
Or just use two clothespins, one on top and the other underneath to hold any "dial type" thermo.
IMAG0398.jpg

While I've never found a need to mount a therm on the SJP,( I just use it for burgers and dogs) if you go indirect this might be an option until you decide to drill a hole and do a permanent install.

Tim

Easiest way is to buy a thermo that sticks in the top vent and you can remove it and use it on another grill or smoker. BBQ Guru sells one with a silicone plug, or I just use a turkey fryer therm that has a clip which you can adjust for height.
Or just use two clothespins, one on top and the other underneath to hold any "dial type" thermo.
IMAG0398.jpg

While I've never found a need to mount a therm on the SJP,( I just use it for burgers and dogs) if you go indirect this might be an option until you decide to drill a hole and do a permanent install.

Tim

Now that's really neat Tim! You can always use cloths pins when camping too!!

Thanks Gary.
Awhile ago someones was asking how to hold a dial type thermo in the top-vent while still being able to partially close it for temp control. I remembered a post from a member where he used a wooden clothespin to hold his Mav probe on the top grate, so since the diameters of the stem/probe are similar I tried it and it works.:)

Tim

Now if you really want to get fancy you can drill a hole in the centre of the vent rivet, using a candy style thermometer, place a piece of 1/4" air hose on the stem and insert it through the rivet. The stem clamp will hold it in place.

I would heartily recommend the new Jumbo Joe. I have the older Smoky Joe Platinum, which is the same grill, except for the vent placement. I use the grill for tailgating and in the last year I have used it for hamburgers for 12, indirect cooking a Tri-tip roast, breakfast cook with smoked sausage, and a few other things. It has good space for indirect cooking and for a family of 4, I think it would be perfect.

While I do not own the Jumbo Joe, I do have the Smokey Joe and Go Anywhere. The Smokey Joe was given to me and has turned out to be my favorite grill. But it is small, great for two people. If I were going to grill for four people I'd use the Jumbo Joe.

Have fun grilling!

Laura

Back