my new WSM!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As I speak I'm 2 hours into a beautiful experience. The only thing I'm stressing is the weather... we have a 50/50 chance of rain and it's dark out. Still, I cant help but smile as I smell the great smells coming out of my new WSM.

This website and my ability to read everything before made it so much fun. Owning a NBBD was guesswork, but everything here is so well documented. The Virtual Weber Bullet is an amazing web site, as you all already know!!

My assembly went stress free as well. Turned on talk radio for an hour and put it together leisurely. Oddly enough, putting together my weber grill (18 1/2) was more work.

Have been maintaining a steady 250 the whole cook so far. Used the minion method and temp stability is everything people rave about and more. I cant even describe the difference between this and my NBBD. The temp needle is dead set and not moving up and down frantically like cheaper offsets.

I have beef ribs, pork ribs, and chicken thighs inside today. I go away next weekend for a whole week to Florida. Although I am anxious to try all the Q spots out there (my first time) I will miss my new favorite toy.

Congratulations Carl on your maiden voyage !!! Next month I will have had my WSM for 1 year... Wouldn't trade it for anything (well, hardly anything !) I plan to do a butt and some baby backs tomorrow... I love the BRITU recipe off the web site... I agree with you about the web site... Not sure where I would be with my Q'ing today if it weren't for the site and all the great help available from everyone !!!
Enjoy !!

Thanks Gary. Everything, especially the beef ribs, came out AMAZING. I used 4 fist sized chunks of hickory I got from the supermarket. After 3 1/2 hours, everything looked pretty ready. Seems I was running a little hot. Next time I will put a wireless Nu Temp at the cooking surface of the top grate to have two temp references.

All the meat is dark and very smoky. I think I may have prematurely removed the pork ribs.. as they are not as tender as the rest of the Q. I heard my new WSM runs a little hot. Maybe also my thermometer is a little off. Who knows... although they are certainly edible, I wish they fell off the bone a little more.

Any body have a good technique for keeping smoked food warm? I am using the oven, covered in foil at 170.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carl Inniss:
[qb]Any body have a good technique for keeping smoked food warm? I am using the oven, covered in foil at 170.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An ice chest works great. Wrap the meat tightly in foil or Saran, place some old towels in the bottom of the cooler, put the meat in, and it will stay hot for hours. Monitor to ensure the internal temp stays above 140*F.

Some people have reported that they've cracked the inside of their cooler from the heat of the meat. The use of towels in the bottom seems to help avoid this potential problem.

Glad to hear you're having fun!

Regards,
Chris

P.S. Gary, hard to believe you've had your cooker for almost a year. Time sure does fly!

Wow great tip. Thanks! That sounds like it would be great for transporting too, as it's so portable.

I am already thinking about buying another WSM for camping and parties, not to mention modifications.

Here’s another trick to hold the finished meat inside a cooler longer.

30 minutes or so before you expect the meat to be done, put a couple of milk jugs filled with hot water in the cooler to pre-warm the interior. This reduces the temperature difference between the cooler and the wrapped meat. Less heat will be initially drawn from the meat as physics kicks in and brings the temps inside the cooler into equilibrium. The reduced heat loss means the meat can be held at a safe temperature for a longer time.

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Nelson:
[qb]Here’s another trick to hold the finished meat inside a cooler longer.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot to mention the idea of preheating the cooler with warm water. Thanks for adding the info, Ken!

Regards,
Chris

Chris and Ken-

Thanks for the ideas on pre-heating a cooler. I'm gonna grill a turkey at home to bring to the place we're eating on Tureky Day, and this is will help me do that and arrive with a warm turkey!

Carl-

Glad you're enjoying your WSM. I'm looking forward to years of great Q!

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back