My New WSM has a factory installed Thermometer

For every situation in life, there are 2 kinds of people (good advice from 'da coach).

In this situation, there are the 'good enough is good enough' folks, and the 'good enough is never good enough' folks. Which kind are you?
Personally, I agree exactly with what Sean H. said above. Once you've used your smoker a couple of times, you will know where it likes to be for different cooks. The built-in therm then lets you know if you're there, or rising or falling from there. And that's all I want to know.

Congratulations, and have fun!

I have an 18.5" with a built-in thermometer. I hung a BGE remote probe and a maverick from the top vent and compared with the Weber.....BGE was ~10 degrees warmer and the maverick registered 5 degree's colder....and I had them in what I am pretty sure was in an identical location. I then tested the two with the boiling water method and they came out identical! Go figure. I've stuck with the installed once since then with the decision that its close enough for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Silvey:
Yes! I am the proud owner of a 22" WSM. I just finished assembly so it's never been used. I have been using a CharGriller offset for about 4 years. Makes tasty Q, but I'm tired of fiddling every hour to maintain temps. This last year I did my first competition and everyone had either a WSM or a Cajun Bandit or one of those trailer pits or all of the above. So I spent the money and upgraded, I also have a Cajun Bandit on order. I'm looking forward to being able to do longer cooks that don't cut to deep into my beer drinking time.

With my offset I have a Maverick, dual prong, remote thermometer that I use. I notice the WSM now comes with a factory installed thermometer. Are they any good? Or should I just ignore it?

Thanks,
Brian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a WSM. At least NOT YET!!! I do have a performer and I use it for smoking. I've found the lid to be fairly accurate. I'm a little OCD so I tend to use the lid thermometer in addition to the maverick, and I put have to oven thermometers that I place on either side of the meat as well. Gives you a good idea of what is accurate and what isn't.

Go more by time than temp, as in: Butt's around the 1.5-1.75hrs per lb. Ribs around 4-6hrs. Whole Brisket 12-15lb and thick around 10-12hrs.

I stay 250 or above and mostly use the dome therm just to know if I am going up, down or holding only. There are way too many dynamics going on inside the cooker through a long cook to try and "pin" a specific temp, it doesn't matter.

Back