My new Weber Genesis EP-330 had a couple of QC issues - but it's all good!

Matt_B

TVWBB Member
I just took delivery on a new Genesis EP-330 that I ordered through Amazon.com and unboxed it on Monday in my garage. I was expecting quality and for the most part I feel that that's what I got. But there was one detail, or lack of, that worried me. The steel channel top rail across the back has a finish that is completely substandard. The inside of the channel was bare metal, which faces downward and thus readily exposed to the elements. The outer finish is textured with a paint that quickly chipped with the light brush of a socket wrench. The rest of the chassis is a nice enamel finish that seems durable. So what gives? Was this piece outsourced from a different supplier? it made no sense. It was an entirely different animal from the rest of the chassis. I decided to refinish this piece with high heat Rustoleum. Other than that, the overall quality of the components was acceptable to excellent. Despite the opinions from some that Weber quality has diminished, it is still a step above the other crap the box stores are selling IMHO.
As many of you may know, the Genesis series ships as one main container housing the grill surrounded by smaller components individually boxed. They packaged this grill very well, in my case it was even straped to a wooden pallet.
However, deep inside the box there were a couple of minor QC issues that needed addressing.
The porcelain coated drip pan was packaged inside the grill tub and protected by cardboard and yet somehow it had a ding the size of my thumb pad that shattered the porcelain and created a deep, bulbous indentation. It almost looks like it was shot! (LOL)
Next on the list - the side burner table. When I opened the sealed, pristine box that contained the SS side burner table, I found it nicely encased in a plastic bag and DESTROYED! The aluminum casted end panel was split in half and the top front corner of the SS housing was deeply indented and deformed. I was completely astonished. My girlfriend agreed with me that this occured in the factory, since the box was pristine and sealed properly.
I called Weber CS and they didn't even seem surprised! The girl politely appolgized and said "First, let's get your new Genesis registered". I gave her the information and she asked me what parts I needed and arranged to FEDEX them to me! I asked if they needed photos of the damaged parts or anything, but nope! Just my address.
I have got to tell you, this is the first time in a long time that I have had a hassle free discussion with a english speaking American located in the customer service center of a manufacturer on US soil. That, if nothing else, separates Weber from the herd!
I added a Weber grill light to the handle and installed OEM 9mm SS grates that I got from a supplier here in Florida last week. I am now eagerly awaiting to christen my newest addition this weekend. :cool:

Thanks for listenin to me yap!

Back