My "new" Genesis 3000

HankBates

TVWBB Super Fan
Previous post on i will just leave this here:
Posted on C/L an hour before I read it, about 5 miles away, so I dropped everything and picked it up.
It is a 1998 Genesis 3000, the original owner bought it in Leominster about 25 years ago.
He said it works well, even the side burner, with rust out where the cook box bolts to the frame (like where else?).
Wife says she likes the idea of the extra burner so it has a good chance of staying.

Thinking of putting my green Silver B lid on it. I know the complete lid will fit, but I might want to use its bolted end caps with the green panel. Do the holes line up?

Photos show it as is was listed on C/L and after dismantling IMG-0111.JPG

IMG-0110.JPG

IMG-0117 (Large).jpg

IMG-0112 (Large).jpg

IMG-0116 (Large).jpg

IMG-0114 (Large).jpg

IMG-0113 (Large).jpg

IMG-0115 (Large).jpg

The green lid panel fit fine with the bolted end caps, and is now installed.
I bought a grinder from Harbor Freight, and performed the surgery on the frame cross member without any catastrophe, either with the grill frame or to myself.
The burners still had plastic spider guards and worked fine so they are still installed.
The stainless flavorizers were intact and in good shape. The cast iron grates very rusty.
I cleaned out the side burner's venturi and it now works well.
Z bars still hold the redwood slats, but not for long. Planning to replace all the Z bars soon, courtesy John G Boston.
Both panels have the weberitis surface pitting, may try some fixes, more on that later (if successful).

New 7552 Cover was delivered today. Appears to me to have been designed for Silver 7 Gold C's, but they show a Gen 2000 right on the box.

The machine had sat outside all its prior life but the main section does not seem to have been used much, perhaps not as much as the side burner.

It now sits where the 700 did, awaiting further use. It seems to heat up almost as fast as does the 700, and cooks well on some stamped porcelain grates I had sitting around. Grilled burgers without incident.

Attachments

• IMG-0129.jpg
    IMG-0129.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-0130.jpg
    IMG-0130.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-0151.jpg
    IMG-0151.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-0162.jpg
    IMG-0162.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Nice find, Hank. I find that the side burner is a great addition for mine- especially when it's crazy hot out or when frying up onions and peppers- don't have to fill the house with cooking smells.

Those are some good handles ;)
I always meant to ask you how the new one compared to the original you had as far as the looks of the details of the routered slots. My claim to fame on these was reverse engineering the design from a Durawood handle and pictures of original handles. My buddy did the actual woodwork.

Nice find and great job getting that grill together, Hank!! The green lid looks really nice on there. I'm thinking you will really enjoy using the side burner.

I always meant to ask you how the new one compared to the original you had as far as the looks of the details of the routered slots. My claim to fame on these was reverse engineering the design from a Durawood handle and pictures of original handles. My buddy did the actual woodwork.
The handles are fabulous. They are ever so slightly different than the originals, but in a good way. They are a tiny bit thicker, so they fill the voids on either end where they attach to the end caps. And finally the wood for the handles is the same as the wood for the slats, so I'm a pretty happy guy! I have one on the grill, and the other is already stained and spar polyurethaned, sitting in the garage as a backup.

EDIT: The originals I had were also really old and dried out, so these new ones have good weight. I'm really really happy with them, thank you again!

The green lid panel fit fine with the bolted end caps, and is now installed.
I bought a grinder from Harbor Freight, and performed the surgery on the frame cross member without any catastrophe, either with the grill frame or to myself.
The burners still had plastic spider guards and worked fine so they are still installed.
The stainless flavorizers were intact and in good shape. The cast iron grates very rusty.
I cleaned out the side burner's venturi and it now works well.
Z bars still hold the redwood slats, but not for long. Planning to replace all the Z bars soon, courtesy John G Boston.
Both panels have the weberitis surface pitting, may try some fixes, more on that later (if successful).

The machine had sat outside all its prior life but the main section does not seem to have been used much, perhaps not as much as the side burner.

I
It is now my daily driver (or perhaps weekly?) and its green lid is sitting in the basement
After the addition of the second swing table I had to cover the ends of the bottom trays with durawood and I am missing six wooden slats.
Problem with wood is matching it up, or even in knowing what you've got. I was thinking perhaps that the wood on the grill when I got it was original, but I'm not sure, so I'm posting a couple of pix and asking for comments.
Perhaps I could just refinish the old slats?
The handle now on the grill is new to me as of yesterday, it came off of an early Silver B I picked up yesterday. The donor grill also sported a different red lid, a decent 8006(!) panel, burners with plastic spider guards and some other nice items.

Attachments

• IMG-0264.jpg
    IMG-0264.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-0265.jpg
    IMG-0265.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 14
Genesis Silver grills will have 81xx numbers on the control panel.

Do you have more pics of your recent addition?

edit: the logo plate on the red lid and the 8006 number on the control panel lead me to think it is a x000 series vs a Silver B.
edit2: I found a pic of my 2000 ( DD date code) silver B and the CP number is 8101

Last edited:
He had put the 1k panel on and Apparently lived with the offset
I’m wondering if he put 1k burners in also
Got to look at it more carefully

Attachments

• D732A271-4AC2-48F3-A115-6C9A1C849448.jpeg
    D732A271-4AC2-48F3-A115-6C9A1C849448.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 19
My 2000 DD date code silver B had plastic spider guards.
That's interesting too, I thought those got retired with the 1000 line. Of course, I don't remember what kind of burner tubes my 1998 came with now. The 98 skyline I just got had the spider guard burners though.

That's interesting too, I thought those got retired with the 1000 line. Of course, I don't remember what kind of burner tubes my 1998 came with now. The 98 skyline I just got had the spider guard burners though.
I'm not sure when they were phased out. I just looked at the owners manual for my DD code Silver B, and it shows them and their official name: "Weber Spider Stopper Guards TM"

My owner's manual shows the same thing and makes a few references to cleaning them and whatnot. Unless they were supplying both styles over the course of a few years, which I doubt, I guess I have to assume that it's correct.

Yah, I don't pay a lot of attention to exact years, but I have gotten quite a few Silver B's with plastic spider guards.

Back