My new find, Genesis 5

Tim, you should have just gone on ebay or Amazon and found a nice aftermarket set of flavorizer bars for cheap. I've never seen the different lengths sold separately but if you can make it work then cool.
You’re probably right Steve, I looked real quick but on the grates it was mostly a dead end. I’m still looking though.

I figured hey, I’m in there all the time, they do have the smoker box and one side of the grate in stock, she took the time to find part numbers (which ultimately I believe were incorrect), and they gave me $250 off the price of my Ranch so….I ordered genuine Weber units. Apparently the five long ones will be a hunt…

Tremendous find! I like your idea to fitting out top-of-line. It deserves such treatment. Glorious condition! You don't find treasures like that often. Do you think it was used much, or just occasional?
Thank ya sir. It just exudes class to me, so she will be treated as such. Super happy to have her.

I believe it was used and used fairly regular. It looks like it’s been either covered or stored inside by the extremely clean exterior, but she is DIRTY inside. I can’t even read casting dates it’s got so much build up in the chamber. Hard to tell really but it’s in a rust area and has zero rust anywhere on it.

I hated the "flame check" on the exact same Genesis 5 I restored and I deactivated it but kept the button. If you can find my rebuild thread I listed instructions. Congratulations on a great find and grill!
Did you not like using it or was it giving issues? Seems fairly easy to bypass and I may very well have read yours, I don’t recall but certainly researched before purchase

You’re probably right Steve, I looked real quick but on the grates it was mostly a dead end. I’m still looking though.

I figured hey, I’m in there all the time, they do have the smoker box and one side of the grate in stock, she took the time to find part numbers (which ultimately I believe were incorrect), and they gave me $250 off the price of my Ranch so….I ordered genuine Weber units. Apparently the five long ones will be a hunt…
I remember the good old days when I could walk into my local Ace hardware and buy anything and everything for my Genesis 1000. As far as the grate and smoker box go, you might need the full size grate from an old Summit to match up with it. Post a picture of what you have and we will all help you find what you need.

As far as the grates go, just buy a set that is compatible with the Genesis 1000, Silver B, Spirit 300. They are the same grates for all of them. If you buy stainless steel rod grates (under $50 on amazon) you can simply cut one of them down to the size necessary to accomodate the smoker box. If you don't intend to keep the smoker box, then they should fit fine as is. If you want premium grates for it, then get the Qulimetal 9MM grates for $99. They both can be cut down to accomodate the smoker box if you like.

Yeah, I guess I'm not sure from Tim's post whether he went ahead and bought a new smoker box and the smaller grate, or if his dealer just has those items in stock.

I haven’t purchased yet. They just have the old OE (albeit different) in stock right now.

Thanks for the links. I had been searching for the full and short rack combo and wasn’t having any luck other than porcelain

Tim, if you really want to get some nice stuff for that grill find the RcPlanebuyer store on ebay. He has the smoker box, the different sized grates, and they are the really thick 9mm stainless steel rod grates that he's famous for making. None of it cheap, but first class stuff.Edit: he doesn't sell the actual smoker box, just the kit with the narrow piece of grate and a support bar for when you don't want to use the smoker box.

Last edited:

Back