My new find, Genesis 5

Looks like an excellent specimen. But I believe that is a Genesis 5000. Not Genesis 5.

Nice pickup Tim! It looks like a Genesis 5 to me, it's got the bigger wheels that the Genesis 1 to 5 had and the 5 also had casters on the other side.

It’s my understanding that being serial number L5 makes it a first generation Genesis 5, and would be either a K or E code if a ‘93 or ‘94-later. The wheels are also noticeably larger than my 1000.

Does anyone know if the color actually changed, I believe this is called Mauve but literature for the gen 2 5000 simply says burgundy that I’ve seen. Not sure if the actual color changed or not.

She’s solid. No rust that I can see anywhere, wood is still solid, porcelain is near-perfect with a chip on serving tray only, glass is perfect, truly looks to have been very well cared for. I can only assume it was either stored inside or maybe under a covered patio or deck or maybe just covered. It’s almost 10 years older than my ‘97 Genesis 1000 and the wood is absolutely destroyed on my 1000.

Awesome score mate!! Love the 5 / 5000 model, there's something about the glass doors that make them cool.

I've just finished a full resto on a 5000, such a classy looking bbq 👍

Attachments

• 20230709_140018.jpg
    20230709_140018.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230709_140133.jpg
    20230709_140133.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230709_140007.jpg
    20230709_140007.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 19
Awesome score mate!! Love the 5 / 5000 model, there's something about the glass doors that make them cool.

I've just finished a full resto on a 5000, such a classy looking bbq 👍
Exactly! I’m admittedly not much of a gas guy although appears I’m changing, but once I saw a pic of a 5/5000, I said I’ve got to have one. It’s the glass cabinet for me as well. Didn’t know they existed until I was on here.

I’m not sure mine will ever be that clean but that’s the goal!

Seems people either fall in love with them or get that look like they just ate a lemon when they see one.

Still need to clean the old girl up, I went ahead and swapped the regulator to a new quick connect one as the one it had wouldn’t seal on my tanks.

The Flamecheck works and apparently works just as it’s supposed to, although I cannot fathom what in the world the point is or was and why the feature was added. We’re there issues back in the ‘80’s, maybe folks bought their first ever gasser and something popped up that Weber seemed to need addressed? I don’t know, my ‘97 redhead has never had an issue and can’t imagine how anything could pop up. Oh well.

So, she fires up. Still haven’t cooked on her, been debating on flavorizers and grates. The dealer in town has the (I believe) 9mm stainless rod rack and smoker box that appears to be the same as this came with, however I can’t nail down the other larger side of the grate.

I have 8 of the shorter stainless flavorizers coming from Weber, dealer was able to find them but the five longer seem to not be available. So, digging on that.

I’ll have more tied up in grates and flavorizers than the grill purchase itself, but that’s ok. It’s going to be my, “luxury” gasser, with rotisserie and stainless interior pieces. I figure it was the top-of-the-line unit they offered back then and she deserves to be outfitted as such. My others have porcelain coated grates and bars, this will be stainless.

Other than chasing down that stuff, she needs a GOOD scrubbing under the hood, hose off the cabinet area so I can store things like the rotisserie and grease pan under there and kind of clean up the grill area.

I have 8 of the shorter stainless flavorizers coming from Weber, dealer was able to find them but the five longer seem to not be available. So, digging on that.
Tim, you should have just gone on ebay or Amazon and found a nice aftermarket set of flavorizer bars for cheap. I've never seen the different lengths sold separately but if you can make it work then cool.

Personally I think the flame check is a great idea. Although on the older models with Xover ignition not as important as the new ones they cheaped out on and had the burners light individually.

The Flame check is simply a device that is supposed to cut off gas flow if the flames go out....is that correct? I imagine it uses a Thermistor which stops gas flow if the flames go out and the thermistor cools down. I know on those old Webers, the thermistor was prone to malfunction making lighting and keeping the grill lit impossible without either holding down the button continuously or bypassing the system.

Yeah actually a thermocouple. Basically a liquid or gas filled "bulb" near the burner. As long as the flame is on, material inside is expanded and keeps a small check valve opened. If flames go out, material contracts and closes valve. It's purely mechanical. Whereas a Thermistor is electrical. But, yeah same idea. Honestly I am surprised govt regulations don't make it a requirement for all gas appliances

I hated the "flame check" on the exact same Genesis 5 I restored and I deactivated it but kept the button. If you can find my rebuild thread I listed instructions. Congratulations on a great find and grill!

Thermocouple. Yes thank you Larry. I didn't think "thermistor" was quite the right name for it. I have never really examined the thermocouple system on weber grills, but it just seems to me that it would be pretty easy to dis-enable it or bypass it.

I guess they are. Never really tried. I know I had to repair the one in my Wolf on the IR rotisserie burner.

Tremendous find! I like your idea to fitting out top-of-line. It deserves such treatment. Glorious condition! You don't find treasures like that often. Do you think it was used much, or just occasional?

Back