My ideas for starting coals, cleaning grill

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
May not be original ideas, but I came up with them on my own.

I have several cans of Sterno type chafing dish warmers left over from a family reunion.
They are cheap, if purchased by the case at Costco.
Not wanting to uncover the Performer to start the coals for a butt smoke, I put about a teaspoon on a piece of paper towel, then balled it up.
IMGP6129.JPG

15 Minutes later:
IMGP6135.JPG

The other thing that worked well is a steel pot scrubber for grate cleaning.
About a buck at Walmart, I think, under $2 for sure.
Nice to have when your brush is gunked-up.
IMGP6137.JPG

Sound like good, original ideas to me, so thanks, Bob. Just checked the cans that were in the pantry, but they're the liquid fuel, not the gel.
icon_frown.gif

There is brushers out there that works with scrubbers. Cheap in the long run. I had the weber one like you BoB. Worked great lasted thru the summer. Now i buy these cheap ones and toss em away. lasts a month and then toss away. Still cheaper then the weber one.
grillborste-grill-wizard-brush-z3.jpg

i use the steel scrubbers as well.

here's an add on - dip one in grapeseed oil to oil your grates before you cook. It scrubs, seasons, and doesn't catch on fire.

I have been using one like Wolgast's for several years and have been very pleased with it. I usually squeeze 2 steel scrubber pads on it at a time. They seem to hold up longer that way. Mine is like the China Grill Brush (second one down), but with a classic, partially melted black plastic handle. I see that they are now selling them with wooden handles, a wise decision.

http://grillwizard.com/prod.htm

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your supposed to clean the grill?????????

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After spending this much on my 22, it takes every bit of my will power to not shine the crap out of it. But I guess I am getting proud of the build-up now.
Still, I could see car polish and a buffer going to work on it!
icon_biggrin.gif

Great ideas Bob. I was using sterno cans for a while but got sick of the ashes forming a crust on top and clogging them up. Not to mention the fact that they're about 1,000,000 degrees by the time you can pull it out from under the chimney. Fortunately I found a deal on some organic firestarter cubes that are about 1/3rd the price of the Weber cubes, so I'm out of sterno.

I have to admit that the title of this thread made me imagine you were using a flamethrower to both light coals and clean your grill at the same time.

Back