My Genesis 1000lx restore thread

Travis D.H.

Hey TVWBB I just picked this Weber up, it was posted on CL for free and was about 15 mins from my house so I had to pick it up.

When I got it it was full of rust from all the disintegrated FB's and what looked like years of grease, the PO had the grease tray inside the drip pan:rolleyes:
super grimy to say the least, so when i got it home I did a quick clean up.

I took all the old FB's and grates out and vacuumed it out, it came with an old tank with the quick release style regulator with a little gas still in the bottom, hooked it up and holy hell all the burners lit up with the crossover ignition.:cool: although the middle burner and the crossover tube are rusted so they will be replaced as well.

So today I have started working on it more, so far I have cleaned and made the gas valves actually work. The middle one was super stiff, Now they all turn freely.
Right now I have the ignition button soaking in bleach and the control panel soaking in simple green, Ive also scraped a bunch more of the caked on grime inside the firebox.

The plan right now is to get it all cleaned and repaint the firebox on the outside then I will order new FB's from rcplanebuyer and new burners and grates from weber.

now for pics.
the day I picked it up, this was after my initial quick clean.

top in great shape

Nice find, looks in good shape. Minimal parts and you're in business

Thanks, ya its in pretty good shape, funny thing is I've wanted one of these grills for a few years now and just in the last 3 weeks I've scored this one and my redhead for free. the redhead is in better shape and I'm using it daily right now, gonna be cooking some chicken later today.

Thanks Bob! I just tested the gas valves with the knobs on them and WOW they feel brand new and make the ones on the red one feel terrible, and I thought the red ones felt great compared to how the green ones were before I cleaned them.

I'm also blazing away on my redhead right now:redgenesis1:

I used some PB Blaster and paper towels and Q tips to clean them, then a tiny bit of wd40 when I put them back together, I just finished doing it on my redhead as well and it feels way better too, but the ones on the redhead were slightly different and I like the ones on the green one better.

Why stop at FB's from RCPlanebuyer? Get grates too. Trust me you will not be sorry. Not much more $$$$ than the flimsy Weber ones either. If you really want a fine cooking machine, with the deep box old style genesis try this. Get a lava rock grate that fits over the bottom row of FB's. Use only 3 FB's (tents) to cover the burners leaving the space between open. Lay the grate on the remaining bars and cover the grate with flare buster ceramic plates. The entire grill will behave like an giant IR burner. It will be the finest cooking machine you've ever used. Even heat, intense searing when needed and WAY less grease collecting in the bottom because it vaporizes it much more efficiently.

I used some PB Blaster and paper towels and Q tips to clean them, then a tiny bit of wd40 when I put them back together, I just finished doing it on my redhead as well and it feels way better too, but the ones on the redhead were slightly different and I like the ones on the green one better.

You may want to rethink the WD-40, it's great for getting things loosened up but doesn't last long and can gum up over time. Try some lithium grease in an aerosol can.

You're going to love it! I bought mine new in 1999 and if I had to get rid of all my seven grills/smokers except one that's the one I would keep.

S1032898_zpszdmnl456.jpg

You may want to rethink the WD-40, it's great for getting things loosened up but doesn't last long and can gum up over time. Try some lithium grease in an aerosol can.

thanks for the tip, I just used what I had on hand but I will pick some of that stuff up.

You're going to love it! I bought mine new in 1999 and if I had to get rid of all my seven grills/smokers except one that's the one I would keep.
I already love it, coming from a lousy Chinese grill these Webers cook amazingly well, not to mention the classic styling. I love how they are built, no crappy sheet metal.

Why stop at FB's from RCPlanebuyer? Get grates too. Trust me you will not be sorry. Not much more $$$$ than the flimsy Weber ones either. If you really want a fine cooking machine, with the deep box old style genesis try this. Get a lava rock grate that fits over the bottom row of FB's. Use only 3 FB's (tents) to cover the burners leaving the space between open. Lay the grate on the remaining bars and cover the grate with flare buster ceramic plates. The entire grill will behave like an giant IR burner. It will be the finest cooking machine you've ever used. Even heat, intense searing when needed and WAY less grease collecting in the bottom because it vaporizes it much more efficiently.

Thanks for the tips,I've only been researching these grills for a couple days so I'm sure I have plenty to learn.

where would I buy these things?

" Get a lava rock grate that fits over the bottom row of FB's. Use only 3 FB's (tents) to cover the burners leaving the space between open. Lay the grate on the remaining bars and cover the grate with flare buster ceramic plates."

I used a small amount of WD40 on mine, wasn't sure what to try but it did the trick

about 10 months. I had to give them another small spray about a week after the first time but they've been perfect since then. I don't cover my grill very often either, so a lot of times last winter (I got it around October 2014 I think) I had to scrape snow/ice off the control panel. Not saying it's the best, but it's worked for me so far.

Back