My Friend Chuck, Chuck Roast...

D. L. Whitehead

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all,

There seems to be a lot of interest in barbecuing chuck roasts lately. I often barbecue a chuck roast when I happen upon a particular roast that catches my eye. I'm lucky enough to have a couple good small neighborhood grocery stores. At one, I can occasionally find a small chuck roast with good conformation to barbecue in my SJS. That store cuts and displays their meat in packages:

Chuck_02.JPG

Chuck_05.JPG

The other store has an old-fashioned meat counter. The meat is on display in a meat case in un-packaged form. Once purchased, it gets weighed, priced and wrapped in butcher paper. If you get there early in the morning, they have a whole section of nearly identical cuts of chuck roast--probably 15 to 20 on display. In my youth, my dad raised beef on a hobby farm. So, we had our own custom butchered beef. Once in a while, we'd run out of chuck roasts and my mother would buy the exact same cut of chuck roast as this store sells.

Below, are photos of this cut of chuck roast cut from a earlier barbecue. The roasts usually weigh about 3.5 lbs. each.

I_Chuck_00.JPG

I_Chuck_01.JPG

I_Chuck_02.JPG

I_Chuck_03.JPG

I see some barbecued chuck roast on our menu soon! I'm excited! The store with the old-fashioned meat counter just came out with their weekly ad. They have USDA Choice Angus chuck roasts for #1.99/lb.

If you haven't barbecued a chuck roast before, I encourage you to try one.

Chuck_06.JPG

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you haven't barbecued a chuck roast before, I encourage you to try one.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>agreed! Pulled beef is great IMO better than pulled pork, better flavor and texture ... if I was staring at a plate of each and had to choose it would be pulled beef, no contest.

Great pics DL!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you haven't barbecued a chuck roast before, I encourage you to try one.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>agreed! Pulled beef is great IMO better than pulled pork, better flavor and texture ... if I was staring at a plate of each and had to choose it would be pulled beef, no contest.

Great pics DL! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree!!

D.L. that is a great great price for chuck!!! I wish we were so lucky to have a 'good' butcher shop that was reasonably priced. We have a very 'good' butcher shop, but their prices are nuts!

Yeah I love the chuck roll. I have done a couple of those and they turned out great. I cant say I like it more than Pork Butt, I love them both equally!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Looks Great!
The second roast in white butcher paper is actually a shoulder roast which also makes a great roast for the smoker. Either one, the chuck or shoulder is great for pulled beef.
Not trying to be picky, just pointing out either cut is great!

I've got Larry's Pepper Stout Beef on as we type. I've never done a chuck before. I can't wait for it to be done.

Yours looks out of this world good. I hope mine comes out as good!!

doing a small chuck roast right now on my first smoke using the wsm. threw in some turkey legs for giggles. this should be good ! for sure chuck is yer friend.

well, my chuck roast didn't turn out like the pics. kinda dry but tasty. took one pic. i'll have to practice more which is a really sad thing
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
well, my chuck roast didn't turn out like the pics. kinda dry but tasty. took one pic. i'll have to practice more which is a really sad thing
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey george, that's too bad. Do you know what went wrong? Was this your first smoke in your new-to-you WSM?

For small chuck roasts, I usually foil them at 155-160 degrees F. About 185 degrees F or so., I start checking every 20-30 minutes for done with a probe for tenderness. They, typically, are done in the range of 192-203 degrees F.

You can always chop it up in a food processor with some onion, sweet pickle relish, mayo and/or salad dressing and have smoked beef salad sandwiches! Yum!

###

well, one thing is that i don't have that much practice, period. but i think i just didn't bring it up to 200 deg int, just made it to 190 before the coals started to die. first time on a wsm. how long does a full ring last running around 275-300 ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
how long does a full ring last running around 275-300 ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With lump I can routinely get 16-18 hours using a clay pot instead of water. If I've got her loaded down pretty good, I.E. 50+ lbs of pork butt for example then it will shorten up to around 14.

D.L.,
That is some great looking meat. I went to Costco and bought a pack of two (6LBs) Beef Chuck Pot Roast, is that the same piece of meat? Did you put a rub on it? What temp did you cook it at? About how long do you expect a 3 LB roast to cook? Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd R.:
D.L.,
That is some great looking meat. I went to Costco and bought a pack of two (6LBs) Beef Chuck Pot Roast, is that the same piece of meat? Did you put a rub on it? What temp did you cook it at? About how long do you expect a 3 LB roast to cook? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd, it's really hard to tell exactly what comes labeled as beef chuck pot roast these days. But, it should work just fine. I'm not much of a heavy rub fan. I like to sprinkle with salt, wait a few minutes until the surface gets sticky from the moisture pull of the salt and, then, sprinkle with granulated garlic and freshly ground pepper. I've been doing a melange of peppercorns lately. That's it for us. If you have a favorite rub use it. However, I think the beef flavor could be overwhelmed by a heavy coating.

I try to cook my beef chuck from about 230 degrees F. to 250 degrees F. If possible, I favor the lower temperature, but don't sweat too much if I miss my marks. My chucks seems to take about 2 hours per lb. I'd guess a range of 1.75 to 2.25 hours per pound would work for most roasts--depending upon the shape of the roasts. I've never done it with a chuck roast, but I suspect it could held wrapped tightly in foil, wrapped with a towel and placed in a container for an hour or two if it gets done too early. One could also up the heat a bit if it is taking too long or you wish to have a shorter cooking time. I foil my roasts. Probably 160 degrees F. would be a good time to foil. Then check for doneness with a probe or fork. Larry W. likes to recommend it's done when you can twist a fork like you're twirling spaghetti.

I like a little bit of mesquite along with some oak for the smoke woods.

Good luck and post some photos!

###

No photos, but it looked like yours. The family enjoyed it very much. Two hours a pound at 230º, and I had two 3 Pounders cooking. I will cook this again. Thanks D.L.

Back