My first WSM rib experience.

Colin B.

TVWBB Member
So I bought some side ribs from Costco. I used Kirk's mustard slather along with some red rub that I made. I put them on the WSM for 5 hours at *235. I used Sugar Maple pellets; 1/3 cup per hour and a quarter.

I pulled them out and slapped on some Strutin' Sauce. They tasted good and if I must say, a good smoke ring. The only problem was, is that they were tough as hell.

Now being a Chef I've made ribs in my restaurants for years. I always use baby backs. I first brase them, then boil them in a combo of bbq marinate and water for three hours. They are always fall off the bone tender and very tasty.

Does anyone have a suggestion???

like steve said, they may have just not stayed on quite as long as they needed to get really tender. Was the meat pulling away from the bone when you pulled it?

Also, as steve said, the way to absolutely ensure tenderness is to foil for an hour or so toward the end of the cook. Then unfoil and throw them back on the smoker for 30 more minutes or so.

Some folks add in some extra liquid when the foil (like a bit of pineapple), while others - like myself - just spritz them with the liquid, then foil them tightly in HD foil.

The length of time in the foil depends completely on how tender you like them.

good luck!

I think it's safe to say that most people are doing some variation of a 3-2-1 method. Strictly speaking, it's 3 hours smoking, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and 1 hour unwrapped to tighten them up. Most of the variation is found in the amount of time the ribs spend in the foil.

As an example, tonight I did two racks of spares (Dad's favorite). They were in the rib rack for 2hrs 45min, then into foil with a 75% apple juice 25% cider vinegar spritz for 1hr 30min, then I dried them up for about 45min.

The foiling time really contributes to overall tenderness, but it's possible to have too much of a good thing. If I was cooking for myself, I would have foiled them for no more than an hour - I prefer a bit more bite to my ribs.

On the bright side, you do get to try again...

Colin, i also had this experience with ribs when i first tried them, and gave up on them for a year or so, just doing butts, briskets, chicken and salmon instead.
Then 3 weeks ago i read here about the 3-2-1 method. I cooked my spared for 5 hours on a rib rack, put them in foil with a spritz of pineapple juice, for 1 hour and then took them out and dried and mopped with sauce/glaze for 1 hour. At all time the WSM was at 230-250.

Man, i'm a convert. The ribs were tender but not mush, they required just a little tug to come off the bone, and they were succulent and delicious.

I've made them for my last 2 cooks now!

jason

After I read this post I wrapped them in foil and cooked for another couple of hours. They were increadable.

Once again thanks to this great forum with terrific people.

I have never used foil, but always (I hope I didn't just jinx myself)have tender ribs. I would agree with everyone else - they probably were not on long enough. I did a couple of racks this weekend and they were on for 8 hours and I kept the fire between 225-235 - no foil. I am not opposed to foil, just have never used it. I have recently begun to spray them with apple juice halfway through and a few times after that based on suggestions here, but I do not know if I see a real difference of when I cooked ribs w/o spraying them. One of these days I will try the 3-2-1 method because so many people swear by it, but you do not need to foil to have tender ribs.

Maybe next time I do ribs, I will smoke some without foiling and some using the 3-2-1 and have a head to head comparision.

I have never used foil either and consistently get great ribs after only 6 hours on the smoker. Of course, I have never tried ribs done in foil and I am a bit curious. The problem I have with it is the time it would take to foil. I am usually cooking about 5 racks, cut in half, so I guess I am too lazy to individually foil 10 half-racks, put them back on the smoker for and hour, and then unfoil them. It seems like it would take a long time.

Can anyone comment? How much time would this add to the cook? This may be a dumb question but do you guys usually take all the ribs off, go to the kitchen and do it there or just leave the lid open and do one rack at a time? Maybe I will try this method on the weekend.

Chris

Back