My first WSM cook: 3.7lb Boneless Beef Chuck Roast

Mike Vifquain

I finally fired up the new to me WSM with a 3.7lb boneless beef chuck roast.

I lit the bricks with minion method. 3/4 chimney unlit topped with 1/4 chimney lit coals. Then added a few chunks of apple wood.
image-3.jpg

I rubbed it up with a mixture of South Seas Tri-tip seasoning I picked up in Cali earlier this year and Sonnys salt.
image.jpg

My trusted side kick helped massage the seasoning in.
image-2.jpg

I used a 2 quarts of water in the pan. I'm new to this, what do you think?

About 3 hrs in, we were almost there. I need to pick up a Wireless Thermometer.
image-4.jpg

After another hour the temp was 165 or so and I foiled the roast, placed it on the middle rack and threw some red potatoes on the top rack.
image-5.jpg

Almost 2hrs later the internal temp was 190+ and I pulled it off, transferred to a pan so we could reserve the juices and covered with foil and a towel.
image-6.jpg

Finally sliced it up and was excited to see a smoke ring there.
image-7.jpg

I mixed a few store bought sauces together, added Worcestershire sauce and then topped off the meat when plated. What do you think?
image-9.jpg

image-10.jpg

Comments, the meat wasn't as dry as it looks. It was tasty and juicy. The wife and kids loved it - which is all that matters to me;)

I was able to hold the temp between 225 and 250 pretty well, but am not sure about water in the pan. Too much, too little?

i think you did a great job. it does look dry but if you wife and kids liked it then thats all that matters. it looks good. love the smoke ring. how long was the entire cook? how was the potatoes? they look yummy. nice cook. :wsm:

Yeah that's a nice cook! As far as water, that's just a heat sink to help keep a stable, low temperature. As long as the pan doesn't go dry, it'll do its job. If you want higher temps (like for chicken or something) just don't use water at all. And keep posting more WSM cooks!

Looks great Mike! You could pull that roast around 185° or so, wrap in foil and leave in an unheated oven or in a cooler wrapped in a towel and let it finish off that way. This will allow some carryover cooking, as the temp will continue to rise 5-10° or more after you take it off the heat. This will also allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.

Nice smoke ring, btw!

Back