My first tri-tip (pics)

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim C:
get the cast iron grates for your performer. you'll get outstanding grill marks. kinda pricey but a very good product
Tim, do you know if cast iron grates are available for 22 kettles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim,

Larry Wolfe's 22.5" Performer has cast iron grates. The brand he uses are available for both the 22.5" and the 18.5" kettle. Here's a link to where he got his.

HTH..

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, Thank you for the info (twice
icon_wink.gif
)
I just ordered CIG for my 22"OTG! Now I'll be waiting for the UPS truck everyday til it arrives!
Thanks Again!

Looks like a nice piece of beef G. So was that from an independent butcher ? Here in Canada I've seen bottom sirloin roasts but not that tri-tip cut in the bigger stores.

Could I use a Trader Joe's right now !

Mark B,
Not bad for Ontario beef, eh?

It was from an independent butcher. I think you have to get it from one of those in Canada. The big stores would never sell it like that, because 99% of Canadians don't know what a tri-tip is and it wouldn't sell. That's too bad.

It was also $7.99 a lb. Not a good price for what's supposed to be a cheaper cut..but not bad either.

Hey G - Nice pics of your tri-tip and great pic of a very gorgeous little girl. I wasn't into BBQ when my kids were that age. I lived in Alaska for 40 yrs and when my kids were that age I was taking pics of them in a kiddie-seat parked on a snow bank while I fished. Main thing was keeping the kids close. May your life be filled with nice little packages like the one in the Green Kettle. lol. Bob

It was also $7.99 a lb. Not a good price for what's supposed to be a cheaper cut..but not bad either.

thats exactly what wegs gets you for them. I'm not complaining though. I'm happy to know they stock them regularly.

I really like this cut of meat. In terms of steaks you cut across the grain, it's way better than a flank. I would love to make fajitas with it. I do have to try and get some skirt steak.

I use to be a big flank fan too. I have since discovered tri's, flat irons, and hangers.

is tri tip a good meat to make lunches for the week? like burritos and tacos etc.

sure. slice thinly across the grain and when cold will be similar to deli roast beef. IMO, an eye of round roast works better thought if you're looking for roast beef.

EOR has a log shape that has plenty of smokable surface area, is very uniform so it cooks evenly, and it fits nicely on my slicer for perfect bun sized slices.

HTH

G Dechaine - Loved your tri-tip pics and really loved the pic of your daughter. Saw that picture when you posted it last year and appreciated seeing it again. Of course it's not offensive and its cuter than the dickens. I think there may be a lot of us that are jealous that we didn't think to do the same thing. Thanks for sharing and glad to see you are all RE-SET up to do some Q'n. Bob B

Thanks for sharing and glad to see you are all RE-SET up to do some Q'n. Bob B

You and me both. We're renovating our house and living in an apartment with no balcony. I told the guys doing the work on the house that if they're done on time...there'll be some Q. It'll be a win-win that way.

In the meantime, lots of pictures on the site (esp. John Solak) to keep my imagination going.

Back