My first Smoke !!! w/pics

Rod Culver

TVWBB Member
I finally did it...after reading for a month or so I did 3 chicken breasts with Texas Brisket seasoning and used Apple and Cherry wood. Even the wife.. a vegitarian tried it and said it was a sweet flavor due to the apple and cherry. A stupid question though...when done do you just close the lid and let the charcoal go out?
100_2054.jpg

100_2055.jpg

Nice pics!
Not a dumb question though. Yes, when I'm done with a smoke I close all of the vents and let the fire go out. But the WSM can still stay hot for hours. You'll have some leftover charcoal, but I imagine a lot is still consumed after cooking.

So, next time you may want to smoke something in greater quantity. Most pork products freeze real well after smoking. I usually try to fill 'er up so that I get the most out of my investment in charcoal and wood.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rod culver:
A stupid question though...when done do you just close the lid and let the charcoal go out?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rod, Chicken looks great, nice job.
icon_cool.gif
Not a stupid question. Alot depends on how air tight your WSM is. I have tweaked my bowl and mid section over the years and have it pretty tight. I can close all the vents and the fire will be out in 45min to 1 hr. I use lump and what's leftover after a cook gets used in the chimney for the next cook. You can do the same if using briquetts, but handle them with care. The semi-burnt ones tend to fall apart easy. HTH and keep on cooking Man.
icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: Here's more for you.

I may have to try that. I'm not a big chicken fan, but the wife is so it'd be worth it if it made her happy.

Like the other guys said, just shut it down when you're done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
I may have to try that. I'm not a big chicken fan, but the wife is so it'd be worth it if it made her happy.

Like the other guys said, just shut it down when you're done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tell you Ken, the Apple and Cherry wood gave a nice smoke ring in the chicken breast, and a nice sweeeeet flavor to them also!!

I'm different. When I'm thru - I open the vents wide open. Everything burns to ash and my next cook always start with clean fuel.

I use kingsford and this assures consistency throughout the smoke.

Back