My first ribs: the postmortem

Hi Guys

I tried a recipe very similar to this with baby backs. I foiled for 2 hrs and it was too long...the ribs were actually falling off the bone too much..one 1/2 rack actually broke in 1/2 when I picked it out of the foil! I think I will foil less and get it back on the smoker.

Now, one complaint I got from family was they didnt have the caramalized sauce due to indirect grilling. This recipe has a great idea but I have a question....if you remove everything down to the coals....where do u put the ribs? Do you just remove the water pan and place ribs on lower grill or what?

Some folks didnt like the heavy smoke taste...I will try just apple next time on ribs.

Thanks!

You would need to remove the center section to safely remove the water pan anyway, so it's easier to just set the top grate on top of the charcoal ring to "grill them off". Bear in mind that the coals, now exposed to unlimited oxygen, are going to get hot fast, so watch the carmelization progress closely.

Yeeeeees!!

Well - I tried again. And this time they were soooo much better. They were so tender - the two racks disappeared PDQ! Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Sharpey

Yup, be careful with the foil. It can be a big help in not turning ribs into jerky, but too long in the foil and you will get mush. Like Jim and others said I use the Method for all cooks on the WSM 'cept chicken, and that I usually do on the Kettle anyhow.

When I first got my WSM, I kept careful logs, checked temps every 12 minutes, and watched my food like a hawk. I wanted perfect ribs (butts, brisket, chicken). And I got them, too-
after I quit chasing seven degrees of temp. Once I started to treat it like "set it and forget it" (more or less) I began to get the results I wanted. I routinely put butts on and then go to work, and the temp is rarely more than 5 degrees different when I get home.

It took me about 5 tries to get something really awesome. They were: too smoky, dry, mushy, dark, then ... PERFECT! It hd all the signs of good ribs.
As others say, your cooking log is your best friend. That way you can repeat the good stuff.
icon_smile.gif

Back