My first question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry J.

Have been useing the Firebrick/Minion Method to do ribs on my 22.5 kettle. I am contemplating getting either a Smokenator or a Grate Grill (ala the Jim Lampe/Brad L. models that I have seen on threads here) but would like some opinions on which you think is better and why?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry J.:
Have been useing the Firebrick/Minion Method to do ribs on my 22.5 kettle. I am contemplating getting either a Smokenator or a Grate Grill (ala the Jim Lampe/Brad L. models that I have seen on threads here) but would like some opinions on which you think is better and why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a Smokenator about 2 years ago before I purchased my WSM a few months later. In fact, the few cooks I did on the Smokenator made the decision very easy that I needed to buy the WSM Classic and I have never looked back!

Richard

Jerry, when i use my otg for smoking i just use the weber charcoal holders, fill one holder with charcoal and add 4 lit coals works great, no need for the bricks, all the bricks do is suck up fuel, i get 4 hrs of burn time with one charcoal holder nothing wrong with that

Welcome to the forum Jerry!
I have not owned, even used, a smokenator. However, I have not heard of a happy Smokenator owner either.
Using a smoke-plate like I and Brad have made does (i believe) make a difference.
If you haven't already, please read this.
I am very happy with the results I'm getting using the smoker-plate. In fact, I'm kind of shocked how well the end product (ribs) compares to the same coming off the WSM.

George, check the link in Jim's reply below and you can see a "smoker plate" which is what I was referring to. And Jim ,I had read those posts. I'm leaning toward a smoker plate but will have to check around to see where I can get one made. Thanks to everyone for your comments.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, I have not heard of a happy Smokenator owner either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have now. I purchased the Smokenator in March, and have used it since then for roughly fifteen cooks--pulled pork, briskets, several whole chickens, tri tips, salmon, sausages, even nuts--and I (and many friends and family) love it.

After the first few cooks, I could dial it in by eye for 225*; bottom vents fully open, top vent about halfway open. What I appreciate about it even more is its flexibility: I can cook at 150* - 160* (for sausages, say) by using fewer initial lit coals and narrowing the vents, or I can run it at a steady 350* for chicken or high-heat brisket by leaving the water pan empty and throwing all the vents wide open. It's well made and seems to me reasonably priced.

None of this is to say that the Smokenator is any better or worse than Jim L.'s device, but I don't have any metal-working experience, so it was the right choice for me. If you search the web, you can find the original Smokenator forums (now largely disused, it seems) for some further info, and there is a brief and positive review on Amazing Ribs

Well, there you have it! A happy owner of the Smokenator!!
Welcome to the forum Ryan! Glad you piped in when you did, + glad to have you with us too.
I'd like to see your results using the Smokenator, as i'm sure Jerry and many many others here would like to also.
Thanks for the info!!
Enjoy your stay
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks for the kind welcome, Jim. I found a few photos of the Smokenator in action; I'll put them up in the 'Barbecue' section (as soon as I figure out how).

To return to Jerry's original post, I should point out a few of the Smokenator's drawbacks:

1. The product's name. Clearly no budget for marketing.

2. No overnight cooks. A full charge (50-60) of briquettes, with a Minioned start of 8 or 10 lit coals, will burn for 3 to 4 hours. After that you need to add 10 or 12 coals about every hour. (This is why I was so jazzed about the high-heat brisket method here.)

3. The small "feed holes." Briquettes fit fine, but most wood chunks will have to be cut down to fit.

All in all, I think it's good for those who can't/don't want to shell for a WSM, and whose advanced humanities degrees have prevented them from acquiring any metallurgical skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back