My first picnic shoulder...

G

Okay. I got my bullet about a month ago and made awesome ribs on it. So I've got the basics down.

But now I'm moving into the land of pulled pork and I don't want to screw this up.

Have about a 9 lb, bone-in picnic shoulder roast. I know I should get butt next time, but it is what it is.

How long do I need to cook this sucker and at what temperature? I'm assuming I'm looking at 225-250 again, but 18 hours (read 2 hours per lb) somewhere sounds insane to me.

Lenn, 18 hours might be a bit much. Each cook varies on the time based on several factors. We each have our own opinion and what works for us. Internal temp needs to be 185 - 190 when its done.

Randy

Lenn

It might depend on how high a temp you cook at.

I usually shoot for 225 grate, and my last butt (8 lb'er) took around 18-19 hours.

If you cook at a bit higher grate temp, (240-250) you'll likely reduce it's time somewhat.

I've never done a picnic, but I think many on the board trim back, or off, the skin portion.

Cooking at a little higher temp won't hurt it.

I've done a couple of picnics. The first one I left the skin on. Not a mistake, but lost a lot of bark that way. Slow smoked pork skin is not a delicacy. Take the skin off before applying the rub.

I have also found the picnic to be slightly drier and a different texture. The pulls into longer "strings".

I like the flavor and texture of picnics slightly more, but there's more waste. Both are good and tasty.

Good luck and have fun.

Back