my first overnight smoke: pulled pork

jason.yee

TVWBB Fan
so i left work at 5am and got home around 5:30am. the sun was just coming up and i set up my smoker and prepped the 6.62# pork butt using chris lilly's rub and injection recipes. the butt went in my wsm at 6:08am and was removed at 5:08pm when it reached 200F. it was so tender when i removed it from the cooker with tongs that it started breaking apart. i foiled it for a little over an hour before pulling.

i made sandwiches topped with creamy coleslaw and tony roma's original bbq sauce. it was darn good. im very happy with this cook.

here is a horrible pic that i took with my blackberry.

28963_394590974326_505529326_4322872_487539_n.jpg

Looks yummy Jason! I am going to try a Pork Butt soon, but I want to get a few cooks under my belt before I try.

Xavier32178

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Prince:
... but I want to get a few cooks under my belt before I try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, pork butt is the first thing you should try.

Not to take anything away from Jason's results (excellent btw) but pork butt is almost bullet-proof. It's very forgiving and, as long as you're somewhat close to following a recipe, it'll at least turn out "good".

I totally agree with Travis that pork butts will give you decent results despite any rookie mistakes made. Even if slightly underdone, you can chop it with a cleaver and hide the mistake. If overdone, you can pull it into larger pieces called plugs with bark on the ends. Yummy. I try to pull mine at 195 internal and rest em in foil. If the blade bone falls out, or if the muscle groups fall apart.....good for you...its done!
No matter what, pork butts are the best to start with. This cook will give you confidence with your WSM.
Briskets....a whole new animal and a whole set of issues tough to master. Ribs...not easy to hit the just right tenderness spot. Fall off the bone sounds cool in a tv commercial, but really is not considered correctly cooked. Chicken.....can be done in areas and pink in others.
As Travis said...master your WSM with butts first, then advance forward.

Thanks for the advice guys! I will have to make my way back to the butcher and buy a Pork Butt. Now all I need to do is put together my WSM. UPS just dropped her off
icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!
Xavier32178

Good Luck Jason. Dont forget to post your results. If you got a Sams Club close, they good pork butts in double packs. I just got a pack in Florence to cook this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:
Good Luck Jason. Dont forget to post your results. If you got a Sams Club close, they good pork butts in double packs. I just got a pack in Florence to cook this weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Morrey! I have a Costco membership and also a really good butcher 10 mins down the road. She showed me there Pork Butts the other day and they looked great! I can get a pack of 2 for $30 or 1 for $15.

i just buy my pork butts from the chinese butchers. the first one (pictured in this thread) was $1.09 per lb. i just bought a second one today on sale for $0.77 per lb.

"First overnight smoke"??

I guess when you cook a little hotter, you don't have to cook overnight as the thread heading stated. Mine typically take over 16 hours in the wsm.

Back