My first overnight smoke, lots of pressure, input requested.

Aaron Legge

TVWBB Fan
A regional lifestyle magazine has interviewed me for an article on home smoking and bbqing and are coming to my house on Saturday at 1pm to do a photo-shoot of me cooking some of my favourite recipes. I've got a 7lb bone in pork shoulder and a 6lb boneless chuck. Plan is Mr. Brown for the pork and Pepper Stout Beef for the chuck.

My plan:

- Rub the pork tonight (Thursday) and let it sit overnight
- Rerub the pork Friday evening.
- Start the pork around 11pm @250 in the WSM
- Put the chuck on at 6am in the WSM
- Finish chuckie in my NBBD offset
- Move pork shoulder to offset around 180 internal

I figure that the offset provides a little more exciting visuals for the photoshoot.

I'd like to have the pork done around 11am so it can foil and cooler for a while.

Any glaring problems?

Any reason you couldn't cook the chuckie overnight also? I haven't done a lot of them but seems to me that starting the chuck at 6 a.m. might be pushing it time-wise. An alternative might be to start the chuck at 11:00 p.m. When it's done, remove it from the wsm and let it cool. Then put it on the NBBD when you put the PB on to reheat.

My .02 worth

Thanks Russ. Trying to balance having food ready with how many cooking process photos they want. Suppose we can always stage them.

Aaron, yeah I would start the shoulder a bit earlier to give you some time margin.

Just wondering, will you be doing both the shoulder and the chuck on the top grate or the shoulder on the bottom?

Will you be using water in the pan?

Just wondering because I'm kinda learning myself.

I've done a couple of overnighters but still arn't comfortable with them yet especially after the first time, not enough fuel and the internal meat temps were going down and not up when I awoke at 5am.

Good luck with it and the photo-shoot

hope we get to see the final shots.

Cheers

Davo

I'm going to take the advice of the learned here and get things started by 8:30/9:00 instead of 11. If everything' done early then we can just stage cooking shots instead of me sweating it out trying to get a butt up to temp with the writer, editor and photographer looming.

Davo: I always run with a dry, foiled pan, I think I can fit them both on the top grate.

Will start a photo gallery thread once I get going later today, leaving work early to get started.

Thanks all!

Sounds like a good plan, Aaron. I think with getting things done early and then staging photo shots there will be a lot less sweating on your part. You'll be able to relax and enjoy it a lot more knowing everything is done.

Looking forward to seeing those pics! Have fun!

Back