My First Mod on my 18" WSM

BenM

TVWBB Fan
I ordered and installed a new, larger thermometer yesterday. It was a perfect fit, no need to drill out and expand the hole. It literally took 2 minutes.

I bought the Dozyant 3-inch Charcoal Grill Temperature Gauge, Accurate BBQ Grill Smoker Thermometer

Looks great and the temp is spot on.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and suggestions.

Attachments

• 20220819_091601.jpg
    20220819_091601.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 72
I ordered and installed a new, larger thermometer yesterday. It was a perfect fit, no need to drill out and expand the hole. It literally took 2 minutes.

I bought the Dozyant 3-inch Charcoal Grill Temperature Gauge, Accurate BBQ Grill Smoker Thermometer

Looks great and the temp is spot on.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and suggestions.
Hi Ben,

How do you like this gadget? Should I pull the trigger on it? Thanks!

Hi. I love it!

It is big, easy to see from across my deck, and spot on accurate

Go for it!

Hi. I love it!

It is big, easy to see from across my deck, and spot on accurate

Go for it!
Know what's easier to see? A digital readout on your kitchen counter, nightstand, etc.
Or even better, your phone. 😁. Unfortunately..... With digital meat thermometer /grate thermometer.... You will rarely look at that dome thermometer again. Doing long cooks, you want that meat thermometer to tell you when to wrap. Going in and out to probe it or check on smoker temperature is just is a tremendous inconvenience. Particularly when it's raining. YMMV.... But that was my first purchase. A pork butt in the stall for 4 hrs on a cold wet night made the decision for me. Bought a maverick the next day.

Last edited:
I'll take what I have over any of that, any single day of the week. Technology is NOT always your friend. I tried all of those a few times, no big deal IMO. I sold all of them online. I never cook with probes. I go buy IT and my thermometers. I owned a 3300 sf restaurant in NYC, been in the hospitality business since I was 15, and I've been cooking without any tech for all those years. I go by feel, visual and IT temps. Period. Never had a bad cook. To each their own and whatever works best for you, use it

I'll take what I have over any of that, any single day of the week. Technology is NOT always your friend. I tried all of those a few times, no big deal IMO. I sold all of them online. I never cook with probes. I go buy IT and my thermometers. I owned a 3300 sf restaurant in NYC, been in the hospitality business since I was 15, and I've been cooking without any tech for all those years. I go by feel, visual and IT temps. Period. Never had a bad cook. To each their own and whatever works best for you, use it
A remote temperature isn't technology... it's convenience. It keeps you from having to repeatedly check on things by going outside. Some people like to sit there and shove sticks in there offset...... Some people like to do other stuff while they're smoker works by itself.

WSM in its stock form the temperature will start to plummet at about 6-7 hrs into a cook because of ash build up on the coals. An oven doesnt do that. Quite a few people here can tell you have woke up at some point to find a sub 200F smoker. There are ways around that but those are other modifications. Larger charcoal basket is one. Some people just like dealing with it..... Plan to bump it so ash falls . However occasionally that will put the fire out completely. A large build up of ash can actually fall and smother the coals

It's a great cooker but it does have deficiencies. "Technology"..... Makes them less of a pita. It basically tells you when to go check on it because something's not right, and when it's time for you to go probe it because it's getting close . Or in my case it'll also control it within a couple of degrees for up to 30 hours if needed with no attention at all from me. Never need to add charcoal, never need to address ash buildup problems. Or even rent the temperature down to a holding temperature when it's done. Set it and forget it. I got bother things to do than to lose sleep or babysit a long cook.

Last edited:

Back