My First Competition

Lone Star Bbq Society runs a lot of comps in North Texas. I checked one out a year ago and got to hang out with a team a little bit. The rules are a lot simpler than KCBS. You don't have to fuss with garnish. You have to turn in a half chicken, so none of that muffin tin thigh crap. Meats are usually brisket, pulled pork, spare ribs, and chicken. Sometimes they have an oddball category like wild boar. The top teams seemed to use those cabinet smokers. The team I was with had a really nice Johnson Smoker reverse flow trailer rig made by a place in Ennis, TX. The top teams are pretty hardcore, though, trying to get to where they can do KCBS. I saw a few WSMs, but not in operation. The judges aren't typically trained like KCBS, they can just be people off the street, though. I think it'd be fun to do as a team. The guys I was with had one guy on brisket, another on ribs, etc. A lot of people were just more about hanging out and having a good time.

Kemper yesterday I read this same situation where someone forgot to foil their Rib eye turn in box-was that you? Where else did you post this? Am I following you on Instagram or are we both a same Facebook group page maybe?

Fans of the Weber Smokey Mountain group is the only other place I posted

Back