My first chuck roll

Melissa

I did my first chuck roll this past weekend! It turned out great, but I'll make a few observations. It was very tender and melt-in-your-mouth good. Next time, I will do it a little differently though - I think the meat can stand alot more aggressive seasoning all the way around - I'm going to use a much more aggressive and peppery rub next time, and I think I'll let it sit a day or two and keep putting on more rub as it sort of cures itself. I'll also use even more smoke. I thought I used alot, compared to when I do brisket or almost anything else, but it still can stand more. I used hickory and cherry, but I think I'll use some Oak or Mesquite next time. Fruitwoods don't seem strong enough for this chunk of beef!

The roll started at 17.11 lbs and cooked for 28 hours! At 24 hours, it had been sitting at a plateau of 168 degrees for what seemed like forever. In the interest of going to bed at a reasonable hour, I finally pulled it, triple foiled it, and finished it in a 250 oven. I didn't want to do it, but it had to be done.

All in all - this is a keeper. I'd definitely recommend it for a big group. It went over great for tailgating!

Melissa

Wow, 28 hours! What temp were you cooking this at? Do try using oak next time, I think you're right about the fruitwoods.

When I do a chuck roast, I use a little oak and a little hickory. Careful though, beef can absorb some smoke. At 24 hours, you want to make sure you don't ruin it. Too little smoke is eatable, too much smoke some times may not be.

Good idea for a big group. If I pulled it off the wsm in the morning and foiled it and let it rest, I bet it would hold real well until office lunch time on one of these upcoming holiday parties.

My first one was about a month or 2 ago. It was 23 pounds and it only took 24 hours. Actually a bit less. I pulled it at 24 hours and the temp was 215. My second one was only 18 pounds and took 24 hours also.

The bark was fantastic. I used wild willie's number wonderful rub. Yea there is a lot of meat there without seasoning on it. I just put my rub in a bottle and sprinkle it on after I pull a bit. Works for me. I think that rub recipe is in the rubs section of the forum.

Good timing on your post Melissa. My next cook was going to be a chuck roll for pulled beef. Thanks for the tips.
I did a top round over the weekend, it came out good but didn't knock me out. I ended up making a pot of chili with it, that was Awesome!!

By the way were neighbors...I'm over in the Park hills area. I'm in Burlington all the time.

Back