my first butts......cooking for 40 people..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charred? Probably not. It is most likely the highly prized bark. If it makes you feel a little better, get a little spray bottle filled with apple juice and wet it down.

Since your the cook, you might consider snitching a taste to make sure. Stick a fork in to the butt and, if you can, give it a gentle twist. I suspect that you will have a nice tasty sample.

Assuming that the bark is as tasty as you expect, you'll want to mix it all through the rest of the bbq when you pull it.

Thanks again guys!

Greg, no I haven't foiled them...should I?? I'd like them to be done by 3 at the latest so I can let them sit for a few hours(seems the practice of most on this forum). Then I want to have the early birds(prolly her folks and my folks) help us pull the pork..

Ron

Ron, foiling will help speed up the cooking process! The side-effect is that the bark will be more on the "chewy" side vs. the jerky side. Either way it's good to me! Foiling is up to you, but if you are looking for an earlier finish, it might be the thing to do!

I never simmer my sop! I can't remember if I did it the first time i made it but have just forgotten to do it since then, or if I've never done it period. But I sure don't simmer it now. Lazy grrrrrl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back