My first Butt???

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm going to smoke my first Butt's this weekend using the "Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe. But I've been having a hard time trying to find some Turbinado sugar. Can someone out there help me out? Also the weight of each Butt is 9 pounds. How long would I have to smoke my Butt's? Would I guage the cooking time by the combined total weight of 18 pounds or just the 9 pounds?

------------------

You'll find turbinado sugar at stores like Albertson's or Safeway, but it may not be labeled as such. It should be on the sugar aisle sold as "Sugar In The Raw" in a brown bag, or sometimes on the health food aisle in a clear plastic bag. Look for large crystals with a brownish color--that's the stuff.

Those bad boy butts will take quite a while to cook. Cooking time can be estimated by the weight of the individual piece of meat, not the combined total. The rule of thumb is 1 to 1-1/2 hrs per pound. I would cook by internal temp rather than time, to about 190*F if you have the patience. You can get away with a lower internal temp if you plan to slice the butt rather than pull it.

Good luck and have fun,
Chris

Thanks a lot for the advice & quick response. I just got my Sourwood honey, & Polder thermometer in the mail the other day. Also I just installed a Trend thermometer with a 4 inch stem in the lid this past weekend using the screw in method. It looks great!!! Thanks to the step by step instructions on this site.I'm going to make the "BRITU" tonight & pull an all nighter this Friday for the butt's. I've only had my WSM for 1 month and I haven't even touched my Weber gas grill. Smoking is the only way to go!!!

Jason,

I stopped by Albertson's at lunch to pick up something and cruised down the sugar aisle. They have the Sugar In The Raw product (which says "Turbinado sugar" on the bottom of the brown bag) as well as a C&H Washed Sugar Cane which appears to be the same thing. Over on the organic food aisle, they have Bob's Red Mill Turbinado sugar in the clear plastic bag.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back