My first butt and I have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley S

TVWBB Super Fan
I kinda wanted to seperate my question here from my original in case anyone in the future searches for pork butt.

The meat was "ok." I had about 3/8" smoke ring but the meat itself was still pink in a lot of places although it registered 198 in several places before I let it sit for an hour. It was also about 1/4 darker looking meat. It was done but really didn't look anything like Chris' picture here:

chopped.jpg

Is this a meat quality issue or am I missing something?

Wesley
A butt is made up of 7 different muscles and they do have a different color and finish texture to them. It's not unusual at all to see what you are talking about.
Jim

Thanks Jim,

I got the meat at Kroger. I see where most of you guys buy your meat at Sam's or Costco and have good results. We only have one local butcher within a 50 mile radius and he doesn't carry shoulder. The meat itself like I said was ok but I have a lot of learning to do. I still think it should have been a little softer. I really need to try some meat from a competition to compare what the texture is supposed to be like vs. what I buy at our local BBQ place. I really have nothing to compare to other than the local shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back