My First Brisket

Paul Kastner

TVWBB Hall of Fame
My frist brisket and my first cook on the 22WSM
Without the help I received from this board this cook would not have happened.
I did not rub per se I layered Dry Worchester, Garlic, Onion, Ground Pepper. The cook started at 11:30 pm and was pulled off about 1:30PM. It was foiled and placed in a cooler for about 3 hours for a nice rest. It was a 15.5 full packer and served 20 people. I have a few left overs but not too much. I think I over cooked it by a tad but not too bad.
Here are some pics I hope you enjoy.

IMGP1365.jpg

IMGP1367.jpg

IMGP1372.jpg

IMGP1373.jpg

IMGP1381.jpg

IMGP1382.jpg

IMGP1385.jpg

IMGP1388.jpg

IMGP1389.jpg

The hand you see is my wife who is telling me no wrong way! LOL.

Everyone loved it even my wife who does not care for smoked meat. I was proud the cook came off I am bone tired right now as I was up and down all night checking the progress. The combo of the new WSM and the first cook being something I have never cooked before rattled me a little.

IMGP1371.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan H.:
looks great! good cook. how'd it taste to you? million bucks says no one complained
icon_wink.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep! Looks great too me as well.
icon_cool.gif

Nice job Paul. That sure looks a lot better then my first Brisket. How big was that thing? It looks like it barely fit your 22 in WSM.

just thinking steve how I was able to fit a 16 lber in my little 18 one time..
icon_eek.gif
i remember struggling a bit. then again some of you guys have fit bigger then that if I remember right, those need to be recorded on video fitting them in there! funny.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How big was that thing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
15.5 pounds
wsmsmile8gm.gif

That really does look great.

No one has asked and you didn't say, so:
Did you do anything special with the point, or did you just slice away?

Great job Paul! Looks like it came out nice and juicy. Give yourself a pat on the back big guy. You done good.

I noticed you did the whole cook with the fat side up ... right down to the slicing. Totally the opposite of what I do. Just goes to show ya, there's more than one way to skin a cat. <-- (wonder where that phrase came from?)

No I did not separate the point and the flat. I knew I was not doing burnt ends. I never moved the roast or turned the roast the whole cook. I did not spray or inject it I wanted to keep it simple and if I made a mistake it would have been obvious since I did very litte during the cook. I cooked the brisket fat side up because I kept thinking of the that fat just sinking into the meat. Just sounded good to me. I am also left handed so doing things backwards is a given for me.
icon_smile.gif

Back