My first Brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It sunny and about 35 degrees with about a foot of snow on the ground. To date I have done two smokes (both ribs) with my WSM. Being bored, I?m getting ready to do a brisket. We have a local takeout BBQ joint and both I and my wife have come to love brisket. Since there isn?t much else to do, here goes.

My plan is to copy the Smoked and Oven finished process. I followed the ribs to a T and they came out great!! I race cars and often spend a whole weekend at the track in my RV. I want to learn how to cook brisket and was thinking of chopping it up and having it in a crock-pot for sandwiches. I accept all suggestions gladly.

I just shoveled a path to my WSM, I have charcoal and I have a rub I used on ribs that says it will work well on beef. I may try this or go mix up some ingredients. I went to BJ?s and the largest brisket they had was 6.2 lbs. I bought just the one since this will be an experiment. Last time I smoked the temp was staying to hot, I figured I was getting some leakage around the rim. I?m thinking that may help since the prediction is for only 40 degrees out tomorrow.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions let me know. I plan to start the process at roughly 7am est, Sunday morning.

Phil

I just finished my brisket. The temp outside never got above 37 today. I never had to make any adjustments to the WSM. It maintained between 225 ? 240 all day. I cooked it for 8 hours and my instant read temp said 157. Time was running out so I wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven. 1 hour and 45 minutes later the internal temp was 205 so I took it out. It?s resting as I type.

I was just looking back trying to figure out how to cut it. I don?t understand where the point is and I also would like some info on chopping for sandwiches. What really confuses me is on Chris?s midnight cook, he took it out at 165 and on the Smoked and oven finished one I followed it says 205. I?m hoping it isn?t all dried out?

Well I just cut it up and I?m pleased, a nice smoke ring and tender. It took me a few cuts to figure out the grain. I?m still curious how you chop it up for sandwiches. The only thing I would probably do different is the rub. I used the one from the all night cook and to me it is a bit salty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phil Berger:
[qb]What really confuses me is on Chris’s midnight cook, he took it out at 165 and on the Smoked and oven finished one I followed it says 205.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you take another look at that topic, you'll see that I cooked the briskets to an internal temp of 185*F, then wrapped them in foil and let them rest in an empty ice chest. When I pulled the first one out of the cooler after a 75 minute rest, it was still at 165*F internal.

The conventional wisdom on brisket internal temp is somewhere in the 180-205*F range, so these briskets were cooked to the low end of the range.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back