My first Boston Butt ...

Ron Snarski

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone, I bought a 6lb trimmed shoulder yesterday from Publix. I am going to give it a shot this Sunday!
I need a good basic rub, if anyone could help me get a list of what I need to buy for said rub, it would be greatly appreciated!
Also, it HAS to be MSG free.
Thanks in advance
Ron

Also, should I tie it with twine?

Howdy Ron! I made one recently (my 1st time doing it) and I used the following rub.

Coursely Ground Sea Salt - 1 cup
Brown Sugar - 1 cup
Paprika - 3/4 cup
Onion Powder - 1/4 cup
Garlic Powder - 1/4 cup
Chili Powder - 1/4 cup
Ground Black Pepper - 1/3 cup

I also injected it which made a huge difference in my opinion. The injection I used was...
Apple Juice - 3/4 cups
Water - 1/2 cup
Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup
Salt - 1/4 cup
Worcestershire - 2 tbsp

I combined all these items in a pot and heated it up on the stove until it came to a medium boil. Then I let it cool down and then injected my meat. I did this the night before and placed it in a plastic trash bag and threw it in the fridge over night. I'm sure you can find all kinds of rubs on-line. That's how I find mine and then I just "tweek" them to my liking. Hope your turns out great.

Hi Ron,
See here.

I can't find the post now, but here's another adapted from a Kevin Kruger suggestion:
1/2 cup light brown or turbinado sugar
3 tbsp ancho
2 tbsp guajillo
1 tbsp habanero
1/3 cup granulated onion
1/4 cup granulated garlic
3 tbsp thyme
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp powdered bay leaf
1.5 tsp white pepper
1.5 tsp black pepper
1.5 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon

If you can find dried chilies, get them and grind them in a coffee bean grinder or similar. The chilies in that last list are the ones i currently have on hand, so thats what I use. Note that Kevin's rubs have no salt. For a butt, generously salt first, then apply the rub. I love that technique for any meat where I'm using a rub.

Let us know how it turns out!

I keep it simple. Ancho powder, brown or maple sugar, salt,garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne or chipotle and black pepper. I don't premix my rub, just put each ingredient on one at a time until I think there is enough of each on there.

Some do and some don't. You don't get flavour from the mustard it is more of a bonding agent. I don't see a need for it. If you use it just use cheap prepared yellow mustard.

I do use mustard but like Bob said it doesn't do much except act as a bonding agent to help your rub stick better. You don't have to use "name brand" mustard, any will do. I use mustard for everything but I do also use Worcestershire on beef like briskets or beef ribs. Worcestershire seems to go well with beef. Hope you cook comes out great and hopefully we can see some pics.

Back