My first Beef Tenderloin (PICTURES OF MEAT INSIDE)

Patrick S.

I know how much folks on this forum love meat shots, so this post will not let you down.

I did my first prime tenderloin tonight, and it came out OUTSTANDING.

I basically used the recipe on the homepage, salt & pepper rub and a light oak smoke @ 300 degrees until the meat read 120. Then I pulled and seared it on all 4 sides, then rested for 10 minutes in foil. But I made a few modifications:

I picked up an 8 pound tenderloin, and had it trimmed down to 5 pounds, done professionally by my good friends at R. Whittingham & Sons Meats.

Trimmed Tenderloin

Thankfully, they left the large fat pieces intact and separated from the roast. I had to do a bit more trimming to get it ready for the cook. Once complete, I rubbed the meat with kosher salt, fresh black pepper, fresh diced rosemary & then a coating of dijon mustard.

Seasoned Meat

Next, I wrapped the entire thing in bacon, and then put the large fat pieces back on top. Then I tied the whole roast back up.

Bacon Wrapped, Fat Tied

Side View

Then I headed outside to get the WSM ready. Yes, the temps today in Chicago were a -30f windchill. I am a freak.....

Air temp

Lucky day for the dog....

Trimmings

Once the meat hit temp, I put the grill right on the coals to sear the meat. It is not nearly as burnt as these pictures look. The black parts are just the Bacon & beef fat that are going to be removed anyway.

Searing1
Searing2

The finished product:

Ready to Trim

Bacon & Fat removed
Slice

Yes, it was THAT good

I made a nice Mushroom/Port wine reduction sauce to go with it (not that it needed anything)

In a bit of butter, saute 1/2 pound whole mushrooms chopped coarsely (I use baby portabella). and one medium size shallot for a few minutes.

Pour in 1.5 cups of Port. Cover the pan, and cook on medium for 5 minutes or until the liquid starts to seep out of the mushrooms.

Stir, and turn the heat to high, and cook for 5 more minutes.

Remove the mushrooms & save for serving with dinner.

Now add 1 cup of beef broth and reduce by 1/2.

Add another cup of port, or substitute at this point for a dry red (I like to use pinot noir), and 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar.

Slowly simmer for the length of the tenderloin cook (60-90 minutes) or reduce by 1/3 - 1/2.

When the meat is done, pour the drippings from your foiled water pan into the sauce, and serve.

Patrick, that tenderloin looks awsome, great pics and even the dog is happy. Great job.
icon_cool.gif

Patrick - That tenderloin looks delicious. Gotta try one. Hey just wondering why you didn't remove the fat/bacon before the seer?

Ray,

That would have been the better way to do it, but I was running late, plus it was bitter bitter cold outside.

Next time & it better weather I'll remove the ties & the fat before searing.

The only thing I noticed wrong was...nothing! Beautiful, thats what im talking about. Im full I just ate lunch but Id scarf down a fat fillet of that!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick S.:
Ray,

That would have been the better way to do it, but I was running late, plus it was bitter bitter cold outside.

Next time & it better weather I'll remove the ties & the fat before searing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that kind of weather will keep you moving!
Just the same that was a great looking cook, made me hungry!

Back