My First Beef Tenderloin - On The Road

John K BBQ

TVWBB Wizard
I haven't posted much lately... just haven't been outside much since Thanksgiving. BUT I did get a golden opportunity at my brothers house in South Carolina last night. Beef tenderloin for 7 people (with my 82 year old mom as special guest) turned out to be a great decision. My wifey picked up a 6.5lb tenderloin in a bag from Sams Club. I was a little surprised by all the trimming it needed, but the trimming wasn't all that tricky and I had that knocked out in about 15 to 20 minutes. We seasoned it simply with course kosher salt and pepper, then began the reverse sear.

Here's a cute little offset smoker my dad bought about 20 years ago. It's an old Brinkman brand but is 100% heavy wall material. This little guy will hold 250F like a rock star all day with just a little bit of attention.

IMG-5492.jpg

Beef tenderloins on! We had about 2 chimney's worth of KF Original in the fire box with about 5 good sized pecan wood chunks in there. We haven't tried burning wood sticks in this little guy yet. I'm not able to visit here enough to figure it out, so we stick with what works.

IMG-5491.jpg

It didn't take long for these tenderloins to hit 110F internal, probably about 40 minutes. After that, we put em' on the Vision Kamado and seared em' off.

IMG-5493.jpg

Here's how they ended up. Good smoke flavor, tender, and despite what you see on the cutting board, still pretty juicy.

IMG-5494.jpg

The whole crew was really happy with the results and it appears this could be a more regular thing... Should turn out even better when I'm on my home patio! Thanks for lookin' :)

Looks perfect, nice cook. Had that same grill about 20 some years ago also. Pretty heavy duty smoker not like the tinfoil types they have now.

Beautiful-looking beef! I love how folks with some outdoor cooker experience can migrate to unfamiliar cookers and serve their people with excellent food. Thanks for sharing!

Back