my first abts today (about 20 on performer)

few questions.

ingredients are jalapenos, cream cheese, mexican blend shredded cheese, cooked ground italian sausage and taco seasoning for stuffing. wrapped with a piece of bacon.

do i need to precook the bacon? i plan to precook the italian sausage.

do i do these whole? or cut in half? what is the easiest way since i dont have one of those jalapeno racks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brady martin:
few questions.

ingredients are jalapenos, cream cheese, mexican blend shredded cheese, cooked ground italian sausage and taco seasoning for stuffing. wrapped with a piece of bacon.

do i need to precook the bacon?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I don't precook.</span>

i plan to precook the italian sausage.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Good idea.</span>

do i do these whole? or cut in half? what is the easiest way since i dont have one of those jalapeno racks.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I cut them in half , then put the cream cheese,onions in a baggie and cut the tip off and squeeze it into the half's. Add the other stuff and wrap with the bacon.</span>
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

man these are taking a looooong time. its been 1 hour and 45 minutes. i read a tip to just cook them low and slow at around 225 indirect so the cheese doesnt melt out.

i just upped the temp to 325. the pepper is about done but the bacon needs maybe another 20 to 30 minutes.

i used 1/3 of new lump, another 1/3 of used lump.

brady they will be well worth the wait
icon_wink.gif

20 jalapenos devoured. these will be a regular from now on. they werent hot at all. next time ill leave some veins or seeds in there because i like spicy. i had ranch dressing on the side but they did not need it.

ABTs are by far my most requested appetizer. I do them like you did, in halves, but I cook them on the kettle under high heat. They take about 40-50 mins to get the bacon nice and crispy. The cheese doesn't come out too bad, especially if they aren't just stuffed super full. NEver made them with sausage in the filling, just might have to try that.

I did ABTs a while ago for the first time on my gasser with a packet of wood chips for smoking effect. They were good but I need to tweak my recipe a bit. That time, I did chopped cheese smokies in the mixture and that with a generous amount of rub was a bit overpowering. Tip- dont do the smokies in them! LOL!

Tonight I am doing stuffed green peppers. I am going to fill them with Graziano sausage, cream cheese, and shredded cheese. Ill be posting pics and results!
icon_smile.gif

ABT's take me absolutely FOREVER to prepare. The last batch I did was awesome, however. My local Whole Foods carries a type of cheese called "Habanero Jack," and I kid you not, this cheese is HOT. I stuff my peppers with that, and diced lil smokie sausages. They come out great. I'm going to try wrapping them in turkey bacon next time I make them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">20 jalapenos devoured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So where are the pics?
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
ABT's take me absolutely FOREVER to prepare. The last batch I did was awesome, however. My local Whole Foods carries a type of cheese called "Habanero Jack," and I kid you not, this cheese is HOT. I stuff my peppers with that, and diced lil smokie sausages. They come out great. I'm going to try wrapping them in turkey bacon next time I make them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did the turkey bacon once, won't do it again. REAL bacon was far far better.

Abt's are requested eveytime i fire up the smoker..My fav is crab and shrimp meat minced and mixed witha little cream cheese..Wrappen bacon of course..
icon_biggrin.gif

This will be my 4th weekend in a row with ABT - They are a favorite with eveyone so each time I try something new. I have down shrip, sausage, different cheese and yet it always comes back to one thing. Creem Cheese (seasoned), pepper and bacon. You simply can't go wrong.

I will tell you that I have started doing and suggest you try.

Cut jap in half - seed it
Fill with cream cheese (what ever you normally fill with) then cut in half again!

don't by center cut bacon us buy normal thin cut bacon.

Cut bacon in half and use half a strip for the 1/4 stuff pepper.

WOOHOOIE! Bite size peppers with tons of flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike-ren:
Abt's are requested eveytime i fire up the smoker..My fav is crab and shrimp meat minced and mixed witha little cream cheese..Wrappen bacon of course..
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to try that combo....hmmm.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by *Matt*:
This will be my 4th weekend in a row with ABT - They are a favorite with eveyone so each time I try something new. I have down shrip, sausage, different cheese and yet it always comes back to one thing. Creem Cheese (seasoned), pepper and bacon. You simply can't go wrong.

Fill with cream cheese (what ever you normally fill with) then cut in half again!

WOOHOOIE! Bite size peppers with tons of flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find the plain ole Oscar Myer works best. Its just thin enough it cooks and crisp up well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by *Matt*:

WOOHOOIE! Bite size peppers with tons of flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you find they cook any faster this way?

Back